what food should i buy?

Jun 9, 2021
Colorado
hi everyone!
I have 4 17 week chickens. 2 golden comets, 1 barred rock, and 1 easter egger.
they are currently on the purina grower but the bag is almost done and they are going to lay any day now. so should i buy another bag of the grower or should I buy layer feed? I have bought oyster shells just incase but what do you think I should do?

Do what makes you comfortable. Everyone has opinions but your flock is for you to decide when to switch. I know I didn't tell you what to do exactly but I don't know how you want your situation to go all I can do is offer some open suggestions for you to pick a route you like. Either way when they first lay be sure to toss in extra meal worms to celebrate!

18 weeks of age is when you should start Layer pellets. And I just read that you should change over a period of time so as not to upset the chickens digestive system by too rapid of a change. So you could buy another bag of grower as well as some layer and start that switch at 18 weeks and 3-4 weeks should be plenty of time over which to do the switch.

Also starting them on Layer pellets may encourage them to lay. And actually you should be fine in starting them on Layer pellets now instead of waiting till 18 weeks. 16 weeks is the earliest you should start chickens on Layer pellets but you should be fine at 17 weeks.

18 weeks of age is when you should start Layer pellets. And I just read that you should change over a period of time so as not to upset the chickens digestive system by too rapid of a change. So you could buy another bag of grower as well as some layer and start that switch at 18 weeks and 3-4 weeks should be plenty of time over which to do the switch.
ok but the only thing is golden comets start laying from 16- 20 weeks and now they are 17 weeks and today I saw one of my golden comets do the egg squat

I have 4 17 week chickens. 2 golden comets, 1 barred rock, and 1 easter egger.
they are currently on the purina grower but the bag is almost done and they are going to lay any day now. so should i buy another bag of the grower or should I buy layer feed? I have bought oyster shells just incase but what do you think I should do?

I would buy another bag of grower food, put out a dish of oyster shell, and call it good for now. Most chickens are pretty good about eating the right amount of oyster shell for their own needs.

The only special thing about layer food is the amount of calcium (right for laying hens, too much for other chickens.) But a separate dish of oyster shell lets them get the extra calcium, so you don't really need layer feed.

You say they'll lay any day now, but they are only 17 weeks old. Some of those pullets could easily wait quite a few weeks before they get around to laying.

Also starting them on Layer pellets may encourage them to lay.
How would that work? I've read the ingredients on the bags. The layer pellets have almost the same stuff as any other chicken food, just with more calcium and often less protein. I think it's just a coincidence if people start them on layer pellets when the chickens are about ready to start laying anyway.

How would that work? I've read the ingredients on the bags. The layer pellets have almost the same stuff as any other chicken food, just with more calcium and often less protein. I think it's just a coincidence if people start them on layer pellets when the chickens are about ready to start laying anyway.
At least one other thing that layer pellets has in it I believe is some kind of phosphate which is necessary in egg shells. It can also be gotten from hard shelled bugs.

Go to All FLock/Flock Raiser and free choice oyster shell as soon as you are out of grower. Contra claims, above, Layer will **NOT** encourage them to lay. Its only value is that its cheap.

The higher protein content of All Flock/Flock Raiser will benefit your birds in (slight, but measurable, though not visible) increases in rate of lay, size of eggs, content of eggs. It will additionally help with weight gain and feather condition, helping to speed molting when your birds do their first adult feather replacement.

Due to larger bag size, you will find the All Flock cheaper per pound than your current feed (though admitedly, not as cheap as layer).

Later, if you should add more birds to your flock, either as hatchlings, roosters, or other hens, there will be no need to either switch feeds or structure seperate feeding areas. All your birds can eat All FLock/Flock raiser (assuming its crumble, wet mash, or fermented) all of their lives.

Back
Top Bottom