what food should i buy?

At least one other thing that layer pellets has in it I believe is some kind of phosphate which is necessary in egg shells. It can also be gotten from hard shelled bugs.
If it's found in egg shells and bugs, it's probably in the oyster shell too.

Layer feed is meant to provide all the nutrients that a laying hen needs-- but it is not the ONLY way to provide those nutrients.

Go to All FLock/Flock Raiser and free choice oyster shell as soon as you are out of grower. Contra claims, above, Layer will **NOT** encourage them to lay. Its only value is that its cheap.

The higher protein content of All Flock/Flock Raiser will benefit your birds in (slight, but measurable, though not visible) increases in rate of lay, size of eggs, content of eggs. It will additionally help with weight gain and feather condition, helping to speed molting when your birds do their first adult feather replacement.

Due to larger bag size, you will find the All Flock cheaper per pound than your current feed (though admitedly, not as cheap as layer).

Later, if you should add more birds to your flock, either as hatchlings, roosters, or other hens, there will be no need to either switch feeds or structure seperate feeding areas. All your birds can eat All FLock/Flock raiser (assuming its crumble, wet mash, or fermented) all of their lives.
layer feed is not any cheeper that grower or all flock. i only buy organic and thats pretty pricey

Go to All FLock/Flock Raiser and free choice oyster shell as soon as you are out of grower. Contra claims, above, Layer will **NOT** encourage them to lay. Its only value is that its cheap.

The higher protein content of All Flock/Flock Raiser will benefit your birds in (slight, but measurable, though not visible) increases in rate of lay, size of eggs, content of eggs. It will additionally help with weight gain and feather condition, helping to speed molting when your birds do their first adult feather replacement.

Due to larger bag size, you will find the All Flock cheaper per pound than your current feed (though admitedly, not as cheap as layer).

Later, if you should add more birds to your flock, either as hatchlings, roosters, or other hens, there will be no need to either switch feeds or structure seperate feeding areas. All your birds can eat All FLock/Flock raiser (assuming its crumble, wet mash, or fermented) all of their lives.
I don't quite think that All Flock can adaquately provide all things needed by chicks, middle aged chickens and mature hens at once.

...and while the phosphorus/calcium ratio IS important, it is extremely unlikely your birds will suffer a phosporus deficiency from any commercially complete feed.

OP feeds Purina. Sticking with their products (good choice, btw - its whom I would use, if I wasn't using the local mill)

Purina Start & Grow (18% Protein, 3% Fat, 5% Fiber, 1% Calcium +/-, 0.5% Phosphorus)

Purina "Layena" (16% Protein, 2.5% Fat, 5.5% Fiber, 3.75% Calcium +/-, 0.45% Phosphorus)

Purina "Flock Raiser" (20% Protein, 3.5% Fat, 5% Fiber, 1.05% Calcium +/-, 0.6% Phosphorus)

So much for the "phosphorus explanation" offered above.

I don't quite think that All Flock can adaquately provide all things needed by chicks, middle aged chickens and mature hens at once.

You are welcome to your opinion, however, as can be quickly discerned by following the links above (or a perusal of my summaries), you are factually incorrect, with the exception of calcium, which layers will obtain via free choice oyster shell. And as excess calcium is as dangerous as insufficient calcium, the choice to offer it seperately results in a superior management method for the long term health of your flocks.

Except for calcium, yes it can.
Chicks need more protein.
Extra protein does not hurt the chickens of other ages.
Layers need more calcium. A dish of oyster shell solves that.
Other than that, they are all chickens, and they need about the same things at all ages.

I agree with this. But I don't think oyster shell contains phosphate.
Do you mean phosphorus?

https://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/products/detail/purina-layena-pellets
Purina layer feed: .45% phosphorus

https://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/products/detail/purina-start-grow
Purnia chick starter: .55% phosphorus (that's higher than the layer feed)

Kalmbach has a bunch of different products, but their layer feeds have .45% to .5% phosphorus, while the chick feeds have .6% phosphorus.

I imagine you'd find similar things for other brands, but I'm not willing to go look up any more than that.

Edit:
@U_Stormcrow I see that you were typing almost the same things, at the same time :thumbsup

Ok. I do agree that according to you guy's resource All flock food does cover everything pretty well with the exception of oyster shell. But it would seem a bit of a waste to give more protein than is needed. But one thing I noticed about the start/grow food you guys brought up is that for newly hatched chicks they should have at least 19% protein and preferably 21%. The all flock should work all right but the actually start/grow food is only 18% protein.

Back
Top Bottom