WHAT FRUIT/VEGGIE/GRAIN IS *NOT* SAFE TO FEED

There is an ingrediant in beans (can't remember name now, I believe some sort of amino acid) that scars the intestinal tract of the chicken, making it more difficult for them to absorb nutrients, it is long term damage.
It is present in soybeans, etc. In commercial feed they use an enzyme to remove it, but not allowed to do that in organic feed, so they roast them to remove it - which contributes to the high cost of organic feed. You can also boil the beans to remove it and feed safely.

I was reading about rhubarb leaves. I think they're toxic to all animals in general!

The beans are interesting. I believe it must be long term damage. But who feeds their chickens a diet of leftovers. I feed my chickens pellets and leftovers when we have leftovers so that would be corn on the cob with kernels on it, watermelon rinds, they have eaten WHOLE pumpkins left over from decorating!!!!, berries and fruit I don't want, leftover dinner like stirfried veggies, old bread or cake. They like it all.
Oh, also I always give them my weeds from the garden for greens.

I'll make sure not to give them avacado- thanks. Or beans.

Today was weird. My emaciated sick chicken was coming home from the vet when I stopped to get a whopper jr burger. I was worried about how sick she was so I thought- A piece of burger must not be very different then a bug so I gave her some burger, some bun and some tomato. She ate it and I was relieved. Then tonight she ate a big bowl of baby chick mash. What do you think about that?

Last edited:
The terms "poisonous" or "toxic" mean different things to different people. If it causes indigestion, could it be considered toxic? Probably yes, but many of us are inclined to include foods in our own diets that invariably cause indigestion. Is this a "lethal" tendency? Probably not.

Some plants are a danger to one animal species and not others and nearly ALL plants have some toxins under certain growing conditions. They may provide important animal food at other times. Often, conditions are those that are seriously stressful to the plant like drought, flooding, or over-fertilizing.

Cornell University Animal Science Department has information on plants specifically toxic to chickens and poultry.

The Merck Veterinary Manual only mentions poultry once but has a longer list and refers to "all grazing animals." Chickens may or may not be included in that group.

Regarding tomatoes and potatoes: Here's info from Cornell on their toxins. Note they say, "Therefore, the concentration of these glycoalkaloids is highest in potato sprouts and green potato skins, and tomato vines and green tomatoes. Care should be taken to prevent the exposure of potatoes to sunlight. These alkaloids are not destroyed by cooking or drying at high temperatures." (my emphasis)

The legume antinutrients can be effectively neutralized by cooking.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom