What gender and breed is this and when should I kill it to eat

chickenfarmer69

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2017

Can anyone tell me what the gender and breed of my chicken is and when should I kill it I bought this chicken when it was a week old during the beggining of December of 2016

Last edited:
We need a picture. As for the prime eating time, I have no idea. I have never eaten any of my poultry myself. I do trade them with the local Chinese Restaurant in exchange for food, but they take them no matter the age.

Do you have any pics of the bird standing profile? Looks like a hen, but how old is it? In the pics, it looks very small? Is this true? If so, I would say it's a Spangled Old Englsh Game Bantam.

ETA: If it was born in November/December, I'd say hen.

Last edited:
If you normally slaughter your chickens for meat, then maybe think about ordering some meat chickens on ideal poultry (only if you like
1f606.png
). Some other breeds like fancy birds or bantams aren't really the best for meat. But honestly, when to slauter them, I don't know. I've never killed any of my birds so I can't help you with that.
-just my personal opinion-

And also, it looks like some type of game bird maybe? Maybe a hen?

Last edited:
I don't know why it's so small it eats a lot and yes it was born around November 25 I got it December 2

Its a hen, looks like a bantam. Spangled OEGB maybe, but looks like a longtailed breed. Seeing it in profile, the first thing that came to my mind was Cubalaya. It doesn't look like much to eat. You might want to just keep it for eggs and buy yourself some meat birds.
Never mind, I don't think its an OEG, it doesn't look right.

Last edited:
But for sure it's a hen ? Because my neighborhood is very strict with chickens and roosters and I don't want it to be a rooster and making noise the state came and took away my old rooster

Back
Top Bottom