What gender are my five 2 month old Plymouth Rock x chicks?

daynamariex

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 4, 2013
I know that hen's flight feathers should be straight and a rooster's should be longer at the ends, and I can see that difference in the pics, but I just want confirmation from someone with experience please. How many roosters should we be preparing for?

Where they live it's currently night, I haven't actually seen them since they were eggs, but I'm gonna Skype them later so I'll ask my dad to take more detailed photos.

Feather sexing only works for certain hybrids bred for the trait. It also only works on day olds.

The website I saw said checking the flight feathers was best at 2 months old, I didn't think newborns had flight feathers. What would you suggest as the best way to tell a 2 month old chick's gender?

The website I saw said checking the flight feathers was best at 2 months old, I didn't think newborns had flight feathers. What would you suggest as the best way to tell a 2 month old chick's gender?
By the comb, and to a lesser extent leg size. At 2 months old it should be obvious. Whole body pictures would be helpful.

I'll get some hopefully in an hour or so, I haven't met them yet but my dad thinks at least 3 are roosters...

Last edited:

I'll post individual pics in a minute, this is them a billion times bigger than when I last got sent pics of them! All of the stripey ones have blackish legs and tiny combs, the white ones have bigger combs...

Back
Top Bottom