What gender are these 4 silkies? 8 1/2 weeks old.

Silkies are so hard to sex...
The first photo looks like a boy to me.
The others look like girls maybe ( I don't see much of a comb )
I am usually not very good at this, but some side photos and pics of the back of the heads ( looking for streemers) would be good. I have a white silkie thats about 6 months old and I still can't tell, waiting for it to crow or lay an egg
big_smile.png

Silkies seem to take forever before you can sex them. I'm not good at it but around three months it gets easier. Four months much easier and some of the roosters will start to crow around 4 months it seems.

Quote:
At what age do silkies crow? Just curious.. I am hoping most of mine are pullets

I have had silkies crow as early as 4 months and as late as 8 months. Wait another couple weeks and post some more pics. Sometimes I can tell by the size, roos are heavier and have thicker legs. If they are all the same age sometimes that helps. Some roos can be standoff-ish and try to fight you early on, but I have also had hens do the same. The hens will have a "rounder" poof and the roos will have a more pushed back look. I have been fooled so many times, but am getting better
big_smile.png
Its a guessing game til you hear a crow or see an egg most of the times. My 7 month roo just crowed yesterday for the first time. Hope you have more pullets than roos.

They all look like girls to me but that could change quickly.
My Silkie roo started to crow at about 18 weeks but I've heard some are a lot earlier or a lot later.
Good Luck with your beautiful Silkies!
big_smile.png

judging at the picture, what is the chance of me getting all males? Coz i really want atleast 1 roo and 3 hen. All hen is ok and 2 2 ratio is fine also. I JUST DON'T want all MALES!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom