What Gender are These?

Apr 21, 2021
Northern Ohio
I have 2 French Wheaten Marans, 1 French Cuckoo Marans and 3 French Black Copper Marans. I really need to know if any are roos so I can sell them early without getting too attached. Are there any tricks to telling the gender of this breed? They're all acting kind of rough and rooster like, but I ordered all females. I know for French Marans there is only a 75% accuracy but I can't possibly get ALL males right? They are about two weeks old. Is it too young to tell? If you need a pic to tell, my profile picture is the two wheatens, they're the two I'm most worried about. I need info fast!

Don’t see anything screaming cockerel on these two.

24136C3F-B81B-4B07-A40B-10FD79934357.jpeg

The person I bought my Wheaten Marans from said you should be able to tell by 2 weeks (but I could never tell until about a month for sure). In the Wheaten Marans, the Cockerels will start showing black or dark feathers while the Pullets will stay a light tan with straw colored breast feathers. In my Black Copper Marans, I found the Cockerals got their combs pretty early - but still close to a month. Can't help you with the Cuckoo Marans as I have not had those yet.

Beautiful! They all look like pullets to me! Marans seem to get their combs early so I doubt this, but the only possible slow maturing cockerels would be the black coppers. The other varieties are definitely pullets due to the dark barring or being light-chested wheaten :)

Beautiful! They all look like pullets to me! Marans seem to get their combs early so I doubt this, but the only possible slow maturing cockerels would be the black coppers. The other varieties are definitely pullets due to the dark barring or being light-chested wheaten :)
Oh thank goodness! I really don't want another roo after my first started attacking people from behind. I don't know what I did wrong but I think I'll just stick to ordering chicks!

Back
Top Bottom