What gender are we?

chickcrazyNC

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
What gender are we?
a few seconds ago
chickcrazyNC
Hi! I think my birds are finally old enough to get a good idea of gender. Here's what I have pictured and their ages:
White Giant Cochin - 13 weeks old
Black Giant Cochin - 13 weeks old
Barred Rock - 13 weeks old
Polish - 14 weeks old
Easter Egger - 15 weeks old
Blue Silkie 15 weeks old

Any guesses?

I have to say I'm a little surprised and disappointed about the polish, I thought the crest was looking more hen-ish and I don't see any waddles on him/her.

No surprise on the Easter egger (even though it was sold to me as a female ameraucana).

I've been suspecting the black Cochin to be male too and possibly the silky because of the coloring on the wings. Thoughts?

Thanks for the predictions! Keep them coming! This is my first flock and I'm clueless but excited to find out who's what!

Your Polish is bearded, bearding suppresses combs and wattles, they should be small. What makes him looks like a cockerel, to me at least, are the long saddle feathers at the base of his tail and his incomplete lacing (a typical rooster trait on laced breeds).
Both of your Cochins look like pullets to me, my roos were pretty easy to pick out at around 5 weeks old. And, your white doesn't look white to me, but it does appear to be splash (if the color on the pics is correct, on my computer she has a bluish cast to her head and what looks like a few light blue feathers scattered about her body).
Your Silkie also appears to be silver partridge instead of blue. If that's the case, red in the wings and neck are pretty good male indicators.

They sure are cute!

Thank you for the explanations! Yes, my Silkie does have partridge in him/her. While I'm sad about my polish, I'm very happy that both Cochins are appearing to be Pullets! I have another polish that is the same age but really underdeveloped for some reason. Can you tell if this one is a pullet or cockerel? It's about 14 weeks old but looks like about 8 weeks old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom