1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What gender is my Easter Egger?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Farmerhen, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Farmerhen

Farmerhen New Egg

Jan 14, 2012
    [​IMG]

I was given this Ameraucana. I was told it was a female, but I am thinking its a rooster because of its green tail. I never owned an Easter Egg chicken, so I am unsure. Can someone tell if its a hen or rooster?

2. dhopper122

dhopper122 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    Kansas
    I have an Americana that it's tail had the feathers pecked off. It never showed me either way on being a hen or rooster, until recently. The last couple of weeks, I caught it being overly aggressive with the "other" hens. Then I heard a "new" rooster crowing. I started to pay closer attention to the pen, looking for this new rooster. Well, I caught him, it was my aggressive Americana "hen". The aggressive nature he was displaying was his attempts to mate with a hen. Now, I have a rooster I thought was was a bit long legged for an Americana and looked more like a Russian Orloft, but I accepted it as an Americana rooster: especially since I bought it at the same time I got the other Americanas. Where is this going, other than me sharing? If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck, right? What I see right away in your pic of your rooster (yeah, I said rooster), is that he has curved tail feathers, not strait like a hen would. If he is being aggressive with the others, then to me, that would seal the deal sexing it as a roo.

3. Farmerhen

Farmerhen New Egg

Jan 14, 2012
    Thank you. I had a feeling it was a rooster.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

That's a male bird, but it's not an Ameraucana. I don't even really see features where I'd call it an Easter egger, just a barnyard mix. Love the coloring [​IMG]

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Cockerel. Impossible to know for sure just by looking whether he carries the blue egg gene of an Easter Egger or whether he's just a mixed breed cockerel.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel not easter egger

7. Farmerhen

Farmerhen New Egg

Jan 14, 2012
    Whatever he is, he's pretty. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by