What gender is my Easter Egger?

Farmerhen

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 14, 2012

I was given this Ameraucana. I was told it was a female, but I am thinking its a rooster because of its green tail. I never owned an Easter Egg chicken, so I am unsure. Can someone tell if its a hen or rooster?

I have an Americana that it's tail had the feathers pecked off. It never showed me either way on being a hen or rooster, until recently. The last couple of weeks, I caught it being overly aggressive with the "other" hens. Then I heard a "new" rooster crowing. I started to pay closer attention to the pen, looking for this new rooster. Well, I caught him, it was my aggressive Americana "hen". The aggressive nature he was displaying was his attempts to mate with a hen. Now, I have a rooster I thought was was a bit long legged for an Americana and looked more like a Russian Orloft, but I accepted it as an Americana rooster: especially since I bought it at the same time I got the other Americanas. Where is this going, other than me sharing? If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck, right? What I see right away in your pic of your rooster (yeah, I said rooster), is that he has curved tail feathers, not strait like a hen would. If he is being aggressive with the others, then to me, that would seal the deal sexing it as a roo.

welcome-byc.gif

That's a male bird, but it's not an Ameraucana. I don't even really see features where I'd call it an Easter egger, just a barnyard mix. Love the coloring
smile.png

Cockerel. Impossible to know for sure just by looking whether he carries the blue egg gene of an Easter Egger or whether he's just a mixed breed cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom