What gender is our Australorp?

Quote:
Hi there! I think that BYC had to institute a new policy that folks can't post photos initially because there was a problem with spammers.

Pullets will make all kinds of sounds - if the chick is only 5 or 6 weeks old it is possible that it's crowing, but it could be something else. It is kind of hard to tell at 5-6 weeks old - does he have an obviously red comb and wattles? That would probably mean male.

Usually male chicks start to develop pointy saddle and hackle feathers around 10 weeks or older - that is the surest way to tell. You can see what those feathers look like on the illustrations under chicken anatomy I believe.

Good luck!

Thank you! I need to find the illustrations and look up the terms. Thanks so much for all the information and support!

The comb is the red flesh on top of his head. The same term is used to describe that anatomy on hens, but theirs remain smaller. It's probably what you were calling the "crown".

The waddles are the hanging, red, flesh on either side of his head, kind of near his "chin", behind his beak. Again, it's the same in hens, but theirs are smaller.

It's pretty unlikely the store will take him back. It's generally accepted that sexing of day old chicks is only just so accurate, there are always a few cockerels that slip through. You can put up a free rooster ad on craigslist and here on BYC or you could always process him for your own freezer before he starts crowing.
smile.png
Good luck!

Featherz, she beautiful. We gave Penguin to a nice home. We are sad, but at least he won't be eaten.

Back
Top Bottom