What gender is this Easter Egger?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by acw123, Feb 4, 2012.

1. acw123

acw123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Charlottesville
    So this is an EE that hatched Dec 1st. It is most likely a Leghorn X EE, not sure which was which for mom and dad but that is what was around. So...just not sure. Had others that were definitely roosters that had waddle and comb development that far surpassed this one that were in same batch but were EE x Marans crosses. I have had EE before that I was sure had to be a rooster since it's comb colored up so quickly and had a bit faster waddle development but ended up he was a she and I was pleasantly surprised. So I have held on to this one after rehoming the obvious roosters in hopes it is a hen. Let me know what you all think. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    I'm guessing....girl [​IMG]

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Only two months old a comb like that? Roo.

4. acw123

Mar 31, 2011
    Charlottesville
    Hooray! me too. I am thinking she is just an early/fast developer. My husband was doubting me so I figured I better get some other opinions.

Wondering if anyone out there thinks that EE in general develop quicker or is just the Leghorn in this one?

5. acw123

Mar 31, 2011
    Charlottesville
    i know but the others she hatched with had waddles and combs that were easily three times the size of hers and that was over 2 weeks ago. The last EE I had developed like this as well. I am going to keep hoping it is a girl and let a bit more time pass. thanks.

6. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    im gonna say girl [​IMG]

7. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    In my opinion, a definite boy.

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    x2 My EE boys had combs like that at 7 weeks.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  9. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    I took a look and said: Sorry, BOY! Pea comb, that red? Oh yeah. But then... You mentioned the Leghorn cross, hmmm now it gets interesting, my leghorn hens have some big ole red combs. So yes, I'm thinking either a boy or girl. Although, I'm leaning more toward boy. Sowwy!

10. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I think boy. You probably shouldn't compare between them because they will have different comb development since they are mixes and will have a distribution of the mixed genetics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by