What gender is this EE?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by americana-chick, Dec 28, 2010.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    I bought this chick as a pullet but i think she is looking kinda rooish... I sure hope not though!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I vote roo, but am not completely sure. That sure looks like saddle feathers and long hackle feathers to me!

3. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Its a rooster. If it were a hen, it wouldn't have the red leakage on the wings.

ETA: I agree I see saddle feathers starting to develop as well.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  4. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    I'd say roo.

5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I'm gonna go with roo, but that comb sure looks like a pullets. Still tough the tail feathers kind of give it away. Very pretty rooster though. Where did you get him from?

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Cockerel.

The gold on the neck is a dead giveaway, then the red on the wings is another sign.

7. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Wow! Pretty! (I'm not language challenged, just oogling!)

I need a course on color genetics...Why the gold on the neck and red in the wings is a giveaway? Is this like cats, where only the female can be calico?? Is there a good thread for me to read up on color genetics and all the terms i see bantied about by those of greater knowledge? Ouch! Giving myself a headache, but inquiring minds want to know!

[​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:It's just a general rule for duckwing, birchen, and wheaten coloring - Males can and should have coloration (silver, gold, or red) on the hackles, saddle, and shoulders while females simply don't. (well, birchen females have it on the neck, but only the neck. . .) This Easter Egger, like most, is duckwing based. Duckwing females can have red or gold coloration on the chest, and sometimes it spreads out to the rest of the body, but it cannot pop up in the neck like this cockerel is showing. (also, those gold feathers are hackles. A rooster trait.) It's just how duckwing patterning works.

9. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

I believe it to be a Cockerel that is maturing to a fine Rooster EE.

10. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    roo [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by