What gender is this?

leighnkylie

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 28, 2012
This may be a stupid question but this is my first set of hens. I got 2 of them. One is bigger than the other. The larger one also seems to be more aggressive (mildly) and has larger set of red face flaps, which leads me to believe it might not be a hen???? She (or maybe he) is around 4 months old. Please tell me this is a girl?????

What breed? Does this one "dance" for the other one? At 4 months, most Roos should have bigger combs and wattles. This one looks like a pullet close to laying. If there are no other Roos around and you don't have any crowing, then she is a girl. Also, if there are not roos then a hen will take that place and be more agressisve
big_smile.png

looks like a cochin cockerel. my 4.5 month old (almost 5 months now) doesn't have a comb that big at all and no wattles yet

PS if that is a white rock, then that is a pullet, my 9 week old roo had combes and wattles that were the same size. At 20 weeks his would have been MUCH bigger.

She dances. I only have 2 chickens (both females). I really hope she is just a dominant one trying to act like a male. She makes a lot of noise but I'm not sure if it is crowing??? I have no clue what breed they are. I just went to the feed store and picked up 2 "white pullets". These birds are pets and my kids love them. I really hope she isnt a boy.....

Do you have a body shot? The saddle feathers should help a lot with this. When I say "dance" does she approach the other which one wing down and uses her foot to "scratch" that wing?

hello again... my frizzleXastralarp hen is odd looking but wonderful. she is a full size astrolorp with the backward frizzle feathers. So any way, my seabrite has been breed by my don Juan frizzle.. also my blue silkie has been breed by the don Juan frizzle. what will the chicks look like??? worried i will have messed up chickens that look like a dust bunny... any ideas?

with it just saying white pullets my guess would be that it is either going to be a white rock or a white leghorn in which case that would make this one a pullet close to laying

Back
Top Bottom