What gender might these little ones be?

JK93

Chirping
Sep 12, 2022
All of these chicks came from MPC online hatchery, I'm suspecting at least 2 are male but I'm brand new to this and would love any input if you think I have some boys in my all female order lol.

First 2 pictures are of my b/b/s orp
Next 3 pictures are my SF
Last picture is of my mille fluer d'uccle.
(All bought as female, and 4.5 weeks of age.)

Attachments

• 20221006_104247.jpg
    20221006_104247.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20221006_104412.jpg
    20221006_104412.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221005_200120.jpg
    20221005_200120.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221005_195820.jpg
    20221005_195820.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221005_200326.jpg
    20221005_200326.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221005_195623.jpg
    20221005_195623.jpg
    864.4 KB · Views: 8
Wow I really thought my sf was a boy! She's so mean and her and the d'uccle chest bump eachother all day haha.

Almost all of my pullets have been chest bumpers. There are a couple behavioural traits in chicks that can help to identify gender, but they are by no means guarantees.

1. Posture while walking (not running or standing). Males tend to walk more upright while females are more hunched over.

2. Overseeing the others. Even at day 1 males will often instinctively try to look after their flock.

Almost all of my pullets have been chest bumpers. There are a couple behavioural traits in chicks that can help to identify gender, but they are by no means guarantees.

1. Posture while walking (not running or standing). Males tend to walk more upright while females are more hunched over.

2. Overseeing the others. Even at day 1 males will often instinctively try to look after their flock.

Thanks! I wouldn't say Nutmeg (d'uccle) looks over the other ladies, but maybe he is and his version is just fighting with and being very anti-Corn Pop (SF) since day 1 which is understandable that bird has been a real jerk since day 1. I can't keep roosters where I'm at so if Corn Pop can't turn it around I'm not sure how my flock dynamics will work out with keeping her if Nutmeg isn't in constant battle with her. 🙄

Thanks! I wouldn't say Nutmeg (d'uccle) looks over the other ladies, but maybe he is and his version is just fighting with and being very anti-Corn Pop (SF) since day 1 which is understandable that bird has been a real jerk since day 1. I can't keep roosters where I'm at so if Corn Pop can't turn it around I'm not sure how my flock dynamics will work out with keeping her if Nutmeg isn't in constant battle with her. 🙄
At 10 weeks MPC will give you a full refund +shipping costs for him upon submission of a photo for confirmation

I agree about the d'uccle being male, but do watch the orp. That is a large comb for 4 weeks. If in the next two weeks you see some wattles start to drop, I would say male. Orps are generally slow in developing, but I think that's quite large even though it's pale still.

At 10 weeks MPC will give you a full refund +shipping costs for him upon submission of a photo for confirmation

I plan to do so, I've been refunded from this hatch already when one of my other silkie chicks died of neurological disorders. My surviving silkie from them has cross beak my SF has something going on with her beak as it can barely close completely which you might notice in the pics, and one of my other orps has an oddly long droopy looking beak as well. Truthfully out of 6 only 2 have looked and acted healthy from my order. 🤦‍♀️

I agree about the d'uccle being male, but do watch the orp. That is a large comb for 4 weeks. If in the next two weeks you see some wattles start to drop, I would say male. Orps are generally slow in developing, but I think that's quite large even though it's pale still.

I'd be devastated that's my favorite bird, that orp had feathers from 1 day old and has out feathered and grown the rest including the other orp who has no tail feathers at a month old and a same size and color comb for some reason haha. I'd be left with possibly 1-2 birds out of 6 considering I'm waiting on the silkie to get older to even try to figure out gender let alone a game plan if it's cross beak becomes worse as it ages. 🤦‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom