What gender(s) are my ducks?

SenFen

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2022
I'm still new to owning ducks and as it turns out, knowing the difference in sex characteristics is a lot different than actually looking at your duck and going "yes that is for sure a female." Pics below:
20220924_123748.jpg

20220924_123755.jpg

The black one on the right is the one I'm most concerned about. I'm pretty sure the brown one on the left is female but I'm also totally open to being wrong there LOL. Can provide more pictures if needed.

Thanks in advance!

I'm still new to owning ducks and as it turns out, knowing the difference in sex characteristics is a lot different than actually looking at your duck and going "yes that is for sure a female." Pics below:
View attachment 3270400

View attachment 3270402

The black one on the right is the one I'm most concerned about. I'm pretty sure the brown one on the left is female but I'm also totally open to being wrong there LOL. Can provide more pictures if needed.

Thanks in advance!
Both look female but can you get a closer pic

I'm new with a flock of cayugas as my hard knocks experience. Hopefully this is universal to ducks. If they are old enough males will get a couple of drake feathers that curl at their tails. It starts as a light curve and then eventually a very distinct half circle. If I recall correctly it happened a few weeks after adult feathers and came in. Sound is another indicator, females have a louder quack and males have lower raspy call. They sound very different so if yours sound the same they are probably the same gender. Color is sometimes also a way to tell in some varieties but I'm not sure of which breeds this applies to.

The colour only applies as adults though, since the juvenile feathering is usually similar in both males and females that have distinct plumage as adults, similar to mallards (from which they are derived.)

Both look female but can you get a closer pic
Unfortunately they never really bonded to me so this is about as close as I'm going to get without an extra set of hands. Is there a specific angle that would help?
20220925_115316(0).jpg

How old are they? Also, best way to tell is by their sound. If it quacks, it's a female! If it makes a more raspy sound, then a drake.
Somewhere between 8-9 months, laying began a couple weeks ago but it's hard to tell if I have one laying or two because they keep changing their spot! So I keep going "did I just miss that egg yesterday or is it new??"

Sadly the black one isn't very vocal it seems but when they do make noise I think it's a normal quack? The tail feathers have had me leaning female but I just don't trust myself enough to be sure.

Unfortunately they never really bonded to me so this is about as close as I'm going to get without an extra set of hands. Is there a specific angle that would help?View attachment 3271291

Somewhere between 8-9 months, laying began a couple weeks ago but it's hard to tell if I have one laying or two because they keep changing their spot! So I keep going "did I just miss that egg yesterday or is it new??"

Sadly the black one isn't very vocal it seems but when they do make noise I think it's a normal quack? The tail feathers have had me leaning female but I just don't trust myself enough to be sure.
This pic was helpful i can confidently say there both female

Back
Top Bottom