What gender??

2, 5 I would guess boys due to the amount of white feathers on the chest, but they could just be girls with less spots. Time will tell
3 I would guess girl, she has plenty of spots

Their heads look pretty yellow so I would say falb fee. It's wild color minus the red tones. You can tell them apart from pharaoh at hatch if you have both.
Gotcha, that’s helpful too—thank you! I love this site and all the awesome and smart and helpful people! :)

Ahhh, okay! That really helps! I took genetics about 20 years ago haha, but I’m fascinated by it and think it’s neat how quickly you can see the affects of selective breeding in quail.

The Rosetta is my very first quail, hatched first, is the biggest, and also most often is the one making loud cries. The lacing mixed with the dark brown is super pretty. I’m guessing male just based on watching his behaviors.
I don’t want to get your hopes up, take this with a grain of salt, but I think your Rosetta is female. I’ve been testing a crazy theory I have based on the shaft in the chest feathers, a more defined shaft I believe indicates male.

Here are 2 tuxedos from my sex links. They are 2 and 1/2 weeks old in the photos:

The first is a female, the shafts are less defined, the chest feathers give the impression of a smoother look.
A8AC52FF-1B2B-4F54-AAD5-FCD73100F58E.jpeg

This is the male, he has long, defined white shafts. Easier to see individual feather features:
46D5E560-BBAF-4346-B847-3E5264027525.jpeg

I have very few wild patterns, but my egyptian male’s chest looked more like a sunburst, with the shafts being more defined, and I got to thinking this might be a very subtle male trait. I’m still testing it haha, so it could be crazy nonsense.

I don’t want to get your hopes up, take this with a grain of salt, but I think your Rosetta is female. I’ve been testing a crazy theory I have based on the shaft in the chest feathers, a more defined shaft I believe indicates male.

Here are 2 tuxedos from my sex links. They are 2 and 1/2 weeks old in the photos:

The first is a female, the shafts are less defined, the chest feathers give the impression of a smoother look.
View attachment 2654126

This is the male, he has long, defined white shafts. Easier to see individual feather features:
View attachment 2654127

I have very few wild patterns, but my egyptian male’s chest looked more like a sunburst, with the shafts being more defined, and I got to thinking this might be a very subtle male trait. I’m still testing it haha, so it could be crazy nonsense.
Interesting! I will try not get my hopes up but it would be pretty great to not have to rehome too many, especially my very first successful baby to hatch! The kids are also pretty attached to them all.

There is definitely a noticeable difference in the pics of your tuxedos. I think that’s a great hypothesis to test! I have 4 baby Celadon quail that are only 1.5 weeks old and will all be different patterning of tuxedo...I’ll have to post some of them when they get all feathered out so we can see if this helps me ID their gender too! :) The smooth white feathers are really pretty. I just love all the variations they all have. So neat!

Interesting! I will try not get my hopes up but it would be pretty great to not have to rehome too many, especially my very first successful baby to hatch! The kids are also pretty attached to them all.

There is definitely a noticeable difference in the pics of your tuxedos. I think that’s a great hypothesis to test! I have 4 baby Celadon quail that are only 1.5 weeks old and will all be different patterning of tuxedo...I’ll have to post some of them when they get all feathered out so we can see if this helps me ID their gender too! :) The smooth white feathers are really pretty. I just love all the variations they all have. So neat!
My 3 favorite silvers this hatch are all tuxes, and by my theory, Angel, Apollo, and Orion are all males 😞, so I’ll see if that turns out to be true haha.

My 3 favorite silvers this hatch are all tuxes, and by my theory, Angel, Apollo, and Orion are all males 😞, so I’ll see if that turns out to be true haha.
Oh no!! Now I don’t know whether to hope you're right or not 😆 love their names regardless! I am a plant ecologist by day, so mine are all going to be named after native plants haha 😁 my mom thinks they’re terrible names 😆

1 is a range pattern and not feather sexable, maybe grau fee?

2 And 3 are a wild pattern, it’s too soon to be sure, but they aren’t looking male yet. I can’t tell if they’re falb fee or pharaoh, it doesn’t look like they have much brown.

4 Rosetta, not feather sexable

5 same as 2 and 3, I suspect it’s male, can you get a better front shot of the chest?

6 silver, looks like range pattern, not feather sexable.

tho 1 and 6 are not feather sexable, I suspect they are male. Let me know if I’m way off in a few weeks ok?
Quick update! While I cannot yet check 1 and 6 yet as they aren’t old enough, you are in deed correct that 5 is a male. (See collage pic of the Falbs)

Silvie the silver (creative I know!) is my favorite though...calmest bird and so pretty! I attached a pic cuz she/he is so purty.

I will attempt to vent sex the grau fees and rosetta and Silvie in two weeks, and will get a final call on your guesses! :)

Attachments

• 523B01AD-450C-4AE8-99DF-E5C8B86E60D3.jpeg
    523B01AD-450C-4AE8-99DF-E5C8B86E60D3.jpeg
    512.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 2F16456F-4376-4745-803D-695EC3EA7CED.jpeg
    2F16456F-4376-4745-803D-695EC3EA7CED.jpeg
    510.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 1B29C89A-3DA9-402A-B74A-172F4D2F8306.jpeg
    1B29C89A-3DA9-402A-B74A-172F4D2F8306.jpeg
    387.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 53C51E92-36F4-4CEE-974A-7C5367F4B713.jpeg
    53C51E92-36F4-4CEE-974A-7C5367F4B713.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 6524BE81-83F8-4D83-97E0-F432E19BC23C.jpeg
    6524BE81-83F8-4D83-97E0-F432E19BC23C.jpeg
    567.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
1 is a range pattern and not feather sexable, maybe grau fee?

2 And 3 are a wild pattern, it’s too soon to be sure, but they aren’t looking male yet. I can’t tell if they’re falb fee or pharaoh, it doesn’t look like they have much brown.

4 Rosetta, not feather sexable

5 same as 2 and 3, I suspect it’s male, can you get a better front shot of the chest?

6 silver, looks like range pattern, not feather sexable.

tho 1 and 6 are not feather sexable, I suspect they are male. Let me know if I’m way off in a few weeks ok?
Okay I have confirmation...you correctly guessed 1 and 6 as males! Nice job!! I’m super excited that Silvie is a boy :) Gonna put him in with my blue egg layers when they’re ready! Woohoo :) The rosetta got out of the pen (daughter didn’t latch the door) and flew into our main yard and the dog got it...so I’ll never know what Rumex was :-( Blah, dogs and quail are not very compatible!!

I couldn’t remember what thread this was in, but it’s such a funny timing coincidence, today I caught Apollo crowing. It’s raining so I couldn’t stand around and observe much, and I was not inclined to climb around much in the mud to catch them and check for foam. I’m glad you updated so I could find the thread. If it’s dry tomorrow I’ll check Angel and Orion for foam.

I couldn’t remember what thread this was in, but it’s such a funny timing coincidence, today I caught Apollo crowing. It’s raining so I couldn’t stand around and observe much, and I was not inclined to climb around much in the mud to catch them and check for foam. I’m glad you updated so I could find the thread. If it’s dry tomorrow I’ll check Angel and Orion for foam.
Would be pretty awesome if you have figured out a way to sex silvers! I would not want to climb around in the yucky mud either! It’s gonna be over 100 here 🤢

Would be pretty awesome if you have figured out a way to sex silvers! I would not want to climb around in the yucky mud either! It’s gonna be over 100 here 🤢
So Apollo and Orion are males, but the jury is still out on Angel.

Back
Top Bottom