What gender ??????

Are the birds in the 2nd and 3rd photos each individual, or are some of them the same? (e.g. Is the bird in the second photo in the third photo, or are there 3 birds with developing combs?) Either way, I would say that the first picture is a pullet, the second is a cockerel, the two birds in the third are cockerels, and the last picture is a pullet.
Are the birds in the 2nd and 3rd photos each individual, or are some of them the same? (e.g. Is the bird in the second photo in the third photo, or are there 3 birds with developing combs?) Either way, I would say that the first picture is a pullet, the second is a cockerel, the two birds in the third are cockerels, and the last picture is a pullet.
The first one and the last one are the same

Because I decided to keep these three when they were first born is it okay for the males to be with each other -they do try play fight but I think it’s because one of the oldest is a male and the youngest so maybe the oldest is telling them who is boss ? But would they be ok with each other or would I have to separate them the female doesn’t really get involved that much with the play fighting she does sometimes ?

I presume the 2 with the big red combs are male. But not sure bc I’m not familiar with Cochins crossings.

Sometimes it’s okay to keep 2 brother rooster in a flock if the breed has a friendly character. If they fight getting older /adults (with blood) you should rehome one.

Its better to have more hens with one rooster.

I presume the 2 with the big red combs are male. But not sure bc I’m not familiar with Cochins crossings.

Sometimes it’s okay to keep 2 brother rooster in a flock if the breed has a friendly character. If they fight getting older /adults (with blood) you should rehome one.

Its better to have more hens with one rooster.
Okay thanks.
They are only 4weeks old so should I get some female chicks which are the same breed ? And how many should I get? And if I do would I introduce them now ? Sorry for the questions It’s my first time hatching eggs

It would be great if you can buy more females of the same age and about the same size. 4 ladies for 1 rooster would be great. But more is no problem either. The breed is not very important as long as you are sure you buy females and their character is friendly like Cochins.
I bought my first chicks with an agreement that I could bring male chicks back and change them for females. Bc it’s often difficult to see at this age.

If you can’t make such an agreement it is wise to wait a bit longer. Depending on the breed at what age. Wyandotte’s are still difficult to distinguish at 8 - 10 weeks. Silkies are difficult until point of lay.

If you buy the chicks from another farm/ hobby keeper it is wise to quarantine for a few weeks.

It would be great if you can buy more females of the same age and about the same size. 4 ladies for 1 rooster would be great. But more is no problem either. The breed is not very important as long as you are sure you buy females and their character is friendly like Cochins.
I bought my first chicks with an agreement that I could bring male chicks back and change them for females. Bc it’s often difficult to see at this age.

If you can’t make such an agreement it is wise to wait a bit longer. Depending on the breed at what age. Wyandotte’s are still difficult to distinguish at 8 - 10 weeks. Silkies are difficult until point of lay.

If you buy the chicks from another farm/ hobby keeper it is wise to quarantine for a few weeks.
Thank you
I’ll update you when I find some

Back
Top Bottom