What gender???

heather75

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 15, 2012
PA
Hi.....I am new to posting here at BYC but have used this site for information for a long time. You guys are wonderful!!! I was hoping maybe you could help me solve a mystery. My largest hen (or so I thought) started crowing this morning! I believe she/he is about 18 weeks old and I am shocked that it might actually be a roo. I can't believe I had no idea until today although now, I think I see multiple traits of a rooster that I have somehow ignored up until this point. I was wondering if you could give me your opinions as to what it's gender might be.... her/his name is Scratch.
smile.png
Scratch was sold to us as Aruacana but I believe she/he is most likely an EE. He/she is much larger and taller than any of my other chickens. I will try to attach a couple of photos. They are the best I have at the moment but I can try to take some better ones later today.

Thank you in advance for your help! I am new to keeping chickens and I'm learning all the time. I love them though and wonder why I waited so long to get some. Thanks again!
Heather

that's a nice EE cockerel :) he has nice long slender and pointed hackles and his saddles are also coming through and will also be long slender and pointed.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help! We love him already and will try to keep him. We are allowed to have roosters here but I don't want to upset my neighbors if he becomes too noisy. Although we live in rural PA we have some pretty close neighbors so I will have make sure they don't mind if he stays. Thanks again for the help and the warm welcome.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom