What gender???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by heather75, Sep 15, 2012.

1. heather75

heather75 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2012
    PA
    Hi.....I am new to posting here at BYC but have used this site for information for a long time. You guys are wonderful!!! I was hoping maybe you could help me solve a mystery. My largest hen (or so I thought) started crowing this morning! I believe she/he is about 18 weeks old and I am shocked that it might actually be a roo. I can't believe I had no idea until today although now, I think I see multiple traits of a rooster that I have somehow ignored up until this point. I was wondering if you could give me your opinions as to what it's gender might be.... her/his name is Scratch.[​IMG] Scratch was sold to us as Aruacana but I believe she/he is most likely an EE. He/she is much larger and taller than any of my other chickens. I will try to attach a couple of photos. They are the best I have at the moment but I can try to take some better ones later today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance for your help! I am new to keeping chickens and I'm learning all the time. I love them though and wonder why I waited so long to get some. Thanks again!
    Heather

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    He is A Rooster !

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    ee roo

4. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Ya that is a ROO for sure.
    the tail and the point feathers all along the neck.
    Pretty though [​IMG]

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    that's a nice EE cockerel :) he has nice long slender and pointed hackles and his saddles are also coming through and will also be long slender and pointed.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  6. AraucanaAnnie

AraucanaAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, but Scratch is a rooster. He is gorgeous! I hope you keep him!! And, [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  7. heather75

Sep 15, 2012
    PA
    Thank you all for your help! We love him already and will try to keep him. We are allowed to have roosters here but I don't want to upset my neighbors if he becomes too noisy. Although we live in rural PA we have some pretty close neighbors so I will have make sure they don't mind if he stays. Thanks again for the help and the warm welcome.[​IMG]

8. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012

9. heather75

Sep 15, 2012
    PA
    Thank you!!! :)

10. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Handsome fella you got there!!! :)