What gives...31 weeks and no eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by my first peepers, Dec 29, 2008.

1. my first peepers

my first peepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    I have three pullets at 31 weeks and two more at 24 weeks. Two of the 31 weekers have been happily laying eggs for over a month now but not Daisy! She doesn't even show signs of squating but one of the 24 weekers has even started to squat! I know they are all on their own schedule but isn't 31 weeks pushing it a little?

2. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Are they all the same breed? If so, are they all bred from the same lines?

They all start laying when they're ready, and that time will vary a lot depending on many factors. Breed, age, diet, exercise, genetic factors you might not know about because they won't have identical genes even if they are all from the same lines, (like human siblings with the same parents can have completely different traits) weather, climate, how much sunlight they get, how much artificial light they get....

Some won't lay until around 6 months old, or later. I have Brahma hens that didn't lay until nearly a year old. Others, from other lines, may lay much sooner.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Nope, it's normal.... plus with the lack of daylight hours that could have somthing to do with it also. Are you giving them 14 hours of light a day ??

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    That ungrateful Daisy!
    My Wyandottes laid at 20 weeks and my Speckled Sussex didn't begin laying until week 30, and that was in the fall, not the winter.

5. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    some hens just start earlier than others

6. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Yes, 31 weeks is pushing it!

I have 4 that are that old and aren't laying yet, either. Little slackers!

I have discovered that they will not lay until you give up all hope and stop looking for eggs. [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Well said! I am still waiting on my two holdouts. They'll be 35 weeks old on Wednesday. That's okay since their sisters are keeping us in good supply. All brahmas.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Gritsar - 35 weeks is 9 weeks older than 6 months!!!! Yikes!!! I hope mine don't wait that long.... they are 18 weeks now.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Deb my chickens are all brahmas, a breed known to be late to mature.
    Actually I was more surprised (and concerned) about the girls I have that started to lay early, in the 19 to 20 week range. It's my understanding that early layers (per the breed!) can have issues related to their early laying.
    Personally I'm looking forward to the time when they are two years old and thus considered full grown. I can't wait to see how big my boy Thor gets. [​IMG]

10. Hellvagirl

Hellvagirl Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Ellijay,GA
    We have a delawareX hen that was 39 weeks old yesterday that still hasnt gave us an egg.We figure she'll lay when she's ready.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by