What gives...31 weeks and no eggs?

my first peepers

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
South Western VT
I have three pullets at 31 weeks and two more at 24 weeks. Two of the 31 weekers have been happily laying eggs for over a month now but not Daisy! She doesn't even show signs of squating but one of the 24 weekers has even started to squat! I know they are all on their own schedule but isn't 31 weeks pushing it a little?

Are they all the same breed? If so, are they all bred from the same lines?

They all start laying when they're ready, and that time will vary a lot depending on many factors. Breed, age, diet, exercise, genetic factors you might not know about because they won't have identical genes even if they are all from the same lines, (like human siblings with the same parents can have completely different traits) weather, climate, how much sunlight they get, how much artificial light they get....

Some won't lay until around 6 months old, or later. I have Brahma hens that didn't lay until nearly a year old. Others, from other lines, may lay much sooner.

Nope, it's normal.... plus with the lack of daylight hours that could have somthing to do with it also. Are you giving them 14 hours of light a day ??

That ungrateful Daisy!
My Wyandottes laid at 20 weeks and my Speckled Sussex didn't begin laying until week 30, and that was in the fall, not the winter.

Yes, 31 weeks is pushing it!

I have 4 that are that old and aren't laying yet, either. Little slackers!

I have discovered that they will not lay until you give up all hope and stop looking for eggs.
wink.png

Quote:
Well said! I am still waiting on my two holdouts. They'll be 35 weeks old on Wednesday. That's okay since their sisters are keeping us in good supply. All brahmas.

Quote:
Deb my chickens are all brahmas, a breed known to be late to mature.
Actually I was more surprised (and concerned) about the girls I have that started to lay early, in the 19 to 20 week range. It's my understanding that early layers (per the breed!) can have issues related to their early laying.
Personally I'm looking forward to the time when they are two years old and thus considered full grown. I can't wait to see how big my boy Thor gets.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom