What GMO Free Treat Can I Substitute for Scratch?

Barry Natchitoches

Songster
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
Tennessee
Scratch has GMO (Genetically Modified) corn and wheat in it.

I would like something that I can throw to the ground as a special treat, the way you do scratch.

What would work as a substitute?

I give BOSS and I just found out most flaxseed is GMO too......(heard they want to do alfalfa as well......sigh)

Not all corn is GMO but most of it. Didn't know wheat was.

I don't think they have done barley yet or millet, quinoa, amaranth etc..

I did manage to find a local source of non GMO layer pellets, no animal fats as well. About 50 cents more than the GMO stuff.

You could use "Organic" Scratch Grain.
If you cant get "Organic" Scratch Grain where you live then you can mix Organic Corn (50 lbs) Organic Wheat (30 lbs) and Organic Oats (20 lbs).

Chris

Quote:
How do you serve up BOSS to chickens? Whole in the shell, or do you have to shell and crack the seeds?

And are sunflower seeds GMO yet?

(I don't know a thing about sunflower seeds. Never ate them myself, have never bought them for any birds either.)

Are sunflower seeds a form of flaxseed?

Quote:
How do you serve up BOSS to chickens? Whole in the shell, or do you have to shell and crack the seeds?

And are sunflower seeds GMO yet?

(I don't know a thing about sunflower seeds. Never ate them myself, have never bought them for any birds either.)

Are sunflower seeds a form of flaxseed?

Q - Are sunflower seeds a form of flaxseed?
A - No
Sunflowers are in the Asteraceae Family /Subfamily Helianthoideae
Flax (common flax or linseed) are in the Linaceae Family

Chris

Last edited:
Buying Organic avoids GMO problems.
smile.png

How do you serve up BOSS to chickens? Whole in the shell, or do you have to shell and crack the seeds? Whole

And are sunflower seeds GMO yet? not yet or not that we know of

Feeding organic hen scratch is not cost effective for me. I would be spending close to $100 a week to feed my birds.

BOSS is good, just throw it out to them and they should go wild for it.

Also, try looking for Non-GMO corn and wheat separately, then mix them. There is some out there, somewhere. . . We ourselves grow our own Heirloom corn, so it's guaranteed non-GMO.
smile.png

Things like Barley and Oatmeal is another good treat to throw out; pretty sure it is non-GMO.

Back
Top Bottom