What goes bad on thermostatic controlled bators.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CindyS, Mar 10, 2009.

1. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    My oldy but goody bator died. It is a 1590 (before genesis). The fan works but no heat. Is it just the element or is that what happens when the thermostat goes bad.

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

It could be either. I would start by replacing the thermostat as that is the most likely culprit. Check the heating element and unless you can visibly see a broken coil, wait until you change the thermostat before you replace it.

3. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:If you have an electric meter check both: coil and thermostat ( with power OFF) for continuity (resistance reading).

This way you can determine which component is bad without trial and error or taking anything apart.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Well the heating element is just a coil, so if it were bad, wouldn't she be able to physically see a break in the element itself?

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:Yes, generally you wouldn't have to look real hard. when it breaks, they separate and hang down.

It could be just corroded contacts at the screws. (2 of them) or wire nuts at the thermostat..

does the indicator light go on and off while you adjust the temp??

You know, you can modify the thermostat with a solid state if you have to replace it.. I did it with a couple of my LG and Hova.

and you probably can replace the coil with that solid bar type heater

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by