1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What got my chicken?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wberry85, Sep 23, 2011.

1. wberry85

wberry85 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Milton, GA
    Found one of my hens still alive out in the road in front of my house. She was blind (I could not tell but it looked like she had no eyes left) and there was a large hole in her chest about 5-6 in in diameter and tissue had been picked at/eaten. I was outside for a long time and all of a sudden I just saw her flapping and screaming in the road.

I suspect a hawk, but any other ideas? Need to know what kind of shot to load in the 20 guage! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I suppose a hawk or owl might start with the eyes. Wouldn't think a mammal would eat the eyes first...I am very sorry and distressed by your loss. I hope you put the poor girl out of her misery if she didn't die immediately. How horrible! Maybe someone else has some ideas.

3. Agdketo

Agdketo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Aledo, Illinois
    Probably a red tailed hawk, commonly called chicken hawks. Check your state laws before you shoot any hawks. They're all protected anyways.

4. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably a hawk.
    Most likely when the hawk grabbed the bird it was by the head and the talons got the eyes.
    I would suggest number 4 or number 5 shot for the 20 gauge. Remember to lead the hawk a bit... :eek:)

Quote:

5. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    12 guage full choke #4 works great.
    Quote:

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Nothing on my place is protected when they're trying to kill my chickens. That is except my chickens. I see to that. My dog just got another possum this morning. He wasn't protected either.

7. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Red tailed hawk is my guess and sorry about your hen.

8. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Likely a hawk. Remember that shooting them without a permit can carry a jail sentence and a hefty fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by