what got my chickens?

ttafe

Hatching
7 Years
May 29, 2012
ALL 16 of my chickens are gone without a feather left behind. what kind of animal would take that many chickens in one night?

two legged.
hugs.gif
were the chicks or chickens?

They were about 16 weeks old so not babies and a decent size. Upon further examination we did find one wing and some feathers alittle ways away. Im still just in shock!

hi, i am so sorry for your loss. I think you have a fox, hunting for kits, it's babies. I had the same thing happen a couple years ago. The female fox will kill everything she can as long as she can. I have been after the one that has raided my coop for the last three years. I just got her a few nights ago. She kill my best leghorn Sunday morning and wounded my new Hampshire Red, my wife chased her off. I scooped up my wounded chicken and carried her back in the house. 5 seconds later the fox was back to pick up my dead chicken. I grabbed the nearest thing, my compound bow and started out loaded after that sob. snagged my bow on the door,broke it, startled the fox it bolted.
Dusk was going to be different. turned on the flood light, sat in the shadows. waited 15 minutes after dark. She popps over the 6 foot fence. comes down in the yard, trotts over to where she left the dead chicken(which me and my daughter had buried) and shot her with a wammo cross bow. Probably should have used a razor tip instead of a field tip. she bolted, flew back over the 6 foot fence. haven't seen her in a few days. hope I never do again.
I dont know if I killed her, I know I hurt her. I have to say it felt great. I have rebuilt my coop 4 or 5 times because of this. I keep my chicken for eggs and as pets. My family is all taking turns caring for our new hampshire red in shock from the attack, and slowly she is making a great recovery.

Back
Top Bottom