What got my duck?

Jugi

Hatching
Jul 23, 2015
Today I came home to find my Khaki Campbell, who I've had for a couple years, dead from some sort of animal attack. The only thing that they went after was her neck. I'll spare you the details, but it was gruesome. I've lost chickens in the past to raccoons, but I've never seen a raccoon eat only the neck. Plus it wasn't even dark yet, and I've never seen raccoons around in the daylight. I've seen a neighborhood cat hanging around this past week - could a cat have done this?

What about a hawk (Redtail or Coopers)? I had a Cooper's Hawk eyeing my Khakis a week ago.
Certainly possible. We have hawks in the area and I've thwarted a couple of hawk attacks in the past. Would a hawk eat just the neck, all around, down to the vertebrae?

Certainly possible. We have hawks in the area and I've thwarted a couple of hawk attacks in the past. Would a hawk eat just the neck, all around, down to the vertebrae?

I found this, when I was looking to see if I should worry about the hawk that was eyeing my ducks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/603961/what-type-of-predator-eats-just-the-neck-of-a-chickens Check out the second post from Country Chick. I am thinking that a predator eats the neck because there are less or smaller feathers to deal with. Just a guess.

jugi I had an owl get one of my ducks and it ate the neck all around the bones. I saw the owl it was not dark yet. I had more problems with foxes and they ate the head and neck completely. hawks eat the same way as owls. I am sorry for your loss.

My gut says weasel, as well. I've lost too many ducks to weasels to not get that sinking feeling whenever I see the phrase, "it went for the neck". Weasels and the like go straight for the neck, particularly the back of the neck, where they can clamp on with their teeth and essentially paralyze their prey. The usually drink the blood, and I've had one try to stash ducklings for later, but they usually leave the body where it lies as its too big to carry off. They have also beheaded a couple of my mallards, so they can be quite vicious. And they'll hunt daytime or night, usually late evening or early morning when we've spotted them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom