PS: In addition to coons, foxes, etc., put a bobcat or lynx on that list too.

If you have one, put up a game camera to monitor things to find out what goes bump in the night. Some of us would be astonished to know what goes on out there under the cover of darkness. Astonished.

The way I am reading this, not only was the coop door open, but so was the run? So not one door open, but two? How did that happen?

Also, if possible, snap a couple photos of your setup. Coop, run, latches, locks, etc. Pictures being worth 1,000 words and all that.

What a lot of folks discover is that what they though was secure when they built the thing really isn't. Pictures allow informed eyes to spot these things so as to allow a much better recommendation on how to beef things up.

I was trying to say that the kennel door to the kennel which surrounded the coop was open. Just the kennel door. My intention was to make it clear I had fencing around the coop. Sorry for the confusion.

Maybe add a spring to close door automatically?
I have screen door springs on all my coop and run doors.
Pics of your setup would help us suggest viable solutions.

So you have a dog kennel (which in my mind makes a good run), but does this kennel also have a covered top on it? There are lots of predators who can climb over a kennel fence. If the coop door inside is open inside a kennel with no top on it, there are many predators who could easily get to them.

Most kennel door latches I'm familiar with have a hole in the latch that can be locked with something very simple.......like a carabiner....or even a loop of bent wire.

So you have a dog kennel (which in my mind makes a good run), but does this kennel also have a covered top on it? There are lots of predators who can climb over a kennel fence. If the coop door inside is open inside a kennel with no top on it, there are many predators who could easily get to them.

Most kennel door latches I'm familiar with have a hole in the latch that can be locked with something very simple.......like a carabiner....or even a loop of bent wire.

The run is covered with BirdX which is a netting.

I'm the only one that goes in and out on a normal basis. Nobody was down there except for me, and I'm sure I shut it up last night. I get everything closed up every single time I leave, and walk maybe a few steps before looking back to double check it's good. I'll even look out my window down there; just to make sure it looks like it's closed up properly. Sometimes I can get a little paranoid about it being done right; I've even walked down there to triple check it before. This is my first flock ever, so I tend to double check everything... Nervous first timer....
Just because your the only one from your house doesn't mean it wasn't the 2 legged one that caused the disappearance, I had one person trying to steal eggs and even stole a chicken but this time they paid dearly, as they tried stealing from a broody hen that decided to nest where they usually lay, she drew blood and they haven't been back since, which is kinda stupid as when there's someone in need as I do a blessings page here locally I give them eggs so no excuse for trying to steal them, reason I know it was too legged kind though was because predators don't wring a chickens neck and just leave it, they did steal all of her eggs though, imagine the surprise they got as they were due to hatch the next day

Back
Top Bottom