what got them?

Mother of All

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Millbrook
Sunday morning I (like every day) let my 30 chickens out of their coop to free range and I also let out my two ducks. They all free range with my three dogs all day every day. Within an hour or so I went out and found both duck laying beside each other next to my pool dead. One had a small amount of blood from the mouth and the other have a very small spot of blood on the chest. That is all my son saw. One of my dogs was found laying beside them, but no blood an any of my dogs. I just don't no what happen. my husband thinks dogs but they have never hurt any of my girls before and are doing OK with them since then.

I bet your dogs did it..
When my dog got my ducks they lookd like that...perfectly fine..just dead. I think she ran them over or broke their necks or something...
hu.gif

Yup, I would say dog as well.

Dogs just see them as squeaky toys and when they stop squeaking, they go find another one.

That's how we lost our first flock of ducks. A neighbor dog got into our fenced yard and "played" with the "squeaky toys" til they were all dead. Twelve of them. Probably took about 20 minutes.

sad.png
Oh man that sucks. Sorry about your ducks. I have had a dog (mine) bring one to me once. I hollered her 'out' command and she let the duck go. Not a scratch.
hmm.png
I would have put money on her never messing with the ducks, but she did that day. No ill intent. Just an 'oops' moment. (that for me, went well)
I have lost ducks at night, but will just go with the usual country living supects on that one. Coyotes, Coons, Foxes. I avoid ducks that go broody easily for that reason. I hate hunting for my fowl and finding only some (bloody) feathers.

Im new here but read your story and thought I would share mine. I have had ducks and chickens for years and then life happens, babies come and no time. this last year I decided to buy some ducks again.... started with 6 ducks and a goose. 3 rouens and 3 kaki cambells. well all was fine until my husbands pup started playing with one. then thats when the chain reaction started. the pup killed the one duck, to teach the dog my husband gave him a beating, sorry if you guys dont agree but thats how we taught all our dogs. well we came home one day and found ducks and goose scattered all over our yard. some were dead and others were injured. none were viciously torn apart just goobered and a little bloody. even tho the adult dogs have been raised with ducks and chickens for years and have never once touched a feather, I seem to notice that once it gets started you just cannot stop it. it is very difficult now cause either dogs or poultry must be locked up, i never keep them together anymore. I am very sorry for your loss and it sucks, im still heart broken over mine.. unfortunatly it is just instinct for dogs to do it.
sad.png

Oh Vamped-out. I am sorry for you too.
sad.png
I have one (potential) duck slayer and his littermate is a cat slayer. They get triggered by that respective species. The duck-dog may no longer swim, the cat dog can no longer roam. Most of the others are good (to some extent) but when one dog oversteps a boundary then yes, others often follow.
If you could kennel the offender, and let him out under supervision only, you might get your peace (and ducks) back. If it is worth the trouble for you?

yes it was hard. The two dogs that did it had killed for the last time. We have had to deal with them killing for a while now. some how some way they would find a way to get access to the ducks or chickens and tear them apart. I am 6 months pregnant and WAY too emotional for it lol. So when they tore apart the last duck and my favorite goose we found them new homes. I just cant handle it anymore. so we have 2 other dogs, a doberman pinscher and a pittbull..... they are the best dogs witht hem, show absolutly no interest towards the ducks or chickens. zoe my dobbie was protecting a week old chick that keeps escaping, she was laying on the ground and the chick was laying next to her, both sleeping in the sun lol. the pitt bull is a sissy, everything scares her lol. So it sounds like things are calming down around here thank god. Mother of all, I feel for your loss and im very sorry. I always have baby rouens if interested lol

Back
Top Bottom