What Guns Do You Keep On Hand?

Anyone carry a specific way or holster to be more flexible while on property doing chores and work? I love my chest holster (the scout) from northwest retention systems. Not digging into body anywhere and right by my hands if needed. Easiest way to carry with light/green dot on full-size pistol.

I use Thunderwear, or equivalent when I carry. I have to have a loose floppy shirt over it though. The ad says, "No one will know you're carrying!" No, they'll wonder if I'm expecting! Well, not any more, at my age. :lau

I use Thunderwear, or equivalent when I carry. I have to have a loose floppy shirt over it though. The ad says, "No one will know you're carrying!" No, they'll wonder if I'm expecting! Well, not any more, at my age. :lau
Ha! I love this. Just make sure it doesn’t snag when you holster your weapon! 😂

Hopefully this site isn't overly liberal.

So the question for us folks that live more rural is what guns you keep on hand to thwart potential predators?

Me? I keep a cheap but accurate 22lr on standby and a 12g shotgun with slugs when our birds are free ranging. And of course I always have my EDC on my hip.

We get everything from feral cats to bears and everything in between around here. Although the only thing I've personally seen on our property was a bobcat that our dog almost got into a tangle with.

The dog is the deterrent/ first line of defense, I'm the final say.

So, what arms do you folks in various areas of the country keep on hand for predators?
Don’t worry. We are mostly on the right side :)
My mom has a pellet gun. Don’t pay much attention to the kind it is. Looks really mean, but just shoots tiny little things ! Big enough to kill a rat though.

I think it is legal, although there is some sort of law where you can't shoot near other people's dwellings, but it is very vague.
I think they were shooting at rabbits, birds, maybe foxes. (And I am very grateful for the people that shoot foxes)

I guess what I worry about is how capable they are, and if there is a risk of a stray bullet coming our way.
But like I said, they haven't done it for a while, so hopefully won't again.
I was just wondering if its ok to ask them to move off, or do shooters find that very annoying.
I think they would find that VERY annoying, but you do have a valid concerns.

Most people do not realize how many of their bullets ricochet and go hundreds of yards beyond where they are shooting. The reason is you cannot hear the ricochet because of how loud the gun shot is. If you ever get the chance to shoot suppressed subsonic you will realize quick that many of your bullets are not stopping in the dirt when you are shooting at a can on the ground. Anyone that is target shooting really needs to shoot into a berm of some sort.

A quick question for those into shooting, what is your opinion on neighbors that shoot a bit too close for comfort?
Still on their land, but just over the fence from our paddock with our goats and horses in it, and quite near the house itself?
They haven't done it for a while, but I was wondering how right we are to be grumpy about it. We have shouted at them for it, and they backed off, but what do you guys think of it?
I definitely understand your conerns and frustration, but shouting at them and being grumpy is definitely not the best approach. I think your best course of action is to let them know that even though you are not a huge fan of guns, you are aware that what they are doing is legal. You are just concerned for the safety of your animals. I would show them exactly where your animals are, explain that you are worried about a stray bullet or ricochet injuring them, and simply ask them to please not shoot in that particular direction.

I think they would find that VERY annoying, but you do have a valid concerns.

Most people do not realize how many of their bullets ricochet and go hundreds of yards beyond where they are shooting. The reason is you cannot hear the ricochet because of how loud the gun shot is. If you ever get the chance to shoot suppressed subsonic you will realize quick that many of your bullets are not stopping in the dirt when you are shooting at a can on the ground. Anyone that is target shooting really needs to shoot into a berm of some sort.

I definitely understand your conerns and frustration, but shouting at them and being grumpy is definitely not the best approach. I think your best course of action is to let them know that even though you are not a huge fan of guns, you are aware that what they are doing is legal. You are just concerned for the safety of your animals. I would show them exactly where your animals are, explain that you are worried about a stray bullet or ricochet injuring them, and simply ask them to please not shoot in that particular direction.
Thank you for this very helpful post.
Since I asked the question, they have not done it anymore, and actually my brother was helping them re-build a dam on their property.
We are now on quite good terms, so if there is any more problems I think we can work it out.

Back
Top Bottom