What happened between my roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CodyChristine, Sep 12, 2010.

1. CodyChristine

CodyChristine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    Ok, so about a month ago we inherited a flock of 12 chickens - 10 hens, 2 roos. The roosters seemed to be fine together. One was definitely the alpha rooster but he tolerated the other rooster being around and didn't seem to mind him. I came home one day and found the alpha rooster pretty beat up - some gashes, feathers gone, etc. I figured one of our little dogs did it and not the other roo because the other rooster looked fine. Well ever since, the alpha rooster chases the other one away [​IMG] any time he tries to come around the flock, into the coop, etc. When they are all out free ranging the ousted rooster will go in the coop and eat and drink. At night, he sleeps in a little dog house [​IMG] (not used for dogs) that sits inside the run instead of in the coop with the alpha and the others. We thought maybe the alpha roo was mad because the other one didn't "help" him during the fight.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if the alpha will ever let him become part of the flock again? [​IMG] Any suggestions on what we can do or should we just let them work it out?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Despite his lack of injuries, the subordinate roo may have made a play for the alpha position and lost.
    ETA: Best to let them work it out.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  3. TicTac

TicTac Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    Kimball, Mn
    Sometimes they work it out most of the time not. Unless you really want him for breeding you may want to find him a new home or pen him with a few hens separate. Sometimes they can get along for a while then bang both end up bloody. I got sick of it so I for a while penned them apart but its just not worth the trouble to double your chores. Just a thought.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I agree with Gritsar.

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    They will work it out..we have lots of roos together and they have moments but work it out...there are worse places to be than in the dog house [​IMG]

6. CodyChristine

CodyChristine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    Thanks everyone!

7. Papadavid

Papadavid Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    And I thought I was the only one who ended up in the dog house!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by