What happened? Found a Hawk eating One of my hens :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KaraG, Jan 31, 2012.

1. KaraG

KaraG Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2011
    I got home today to see a hawk pecking at one of my chickens (then dead) through the fencing Surrounding the coop. Its one of rhose coops that gas a toally enclosed run and fencing surrounding the raised coop so that ghe gena can also walk under the coop.I'm not sure what happened but am guessing maybe the chicken got stuck - she was wedged in between the metal fencing and part of the coop wheel. If she had backed up she wouldn't get wedged between the wheel and fence. The hawk - red tail - I think - had plucked all of the feathers off her head and part of her chst by the time I got home.The metal wire fencing has pretty small openings like typicsl chicken wire. What is most plausible? Do you think she got stuck and then a hawk heard her and started pecking her? I'm not sure how or why she got wedged against the fence and it's totally enclosed and had no signs of digging, etc. She appeared to be in perfect health until this happened. I want to make sure my other hens and rooster don't have the same fate.

2. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    [​IMG]I'm so sorry this happened to your sweet girl. I lost a few to hawks also and know how hard it is. Maybe the hawk spooked them, I know chickens can sometimes run around crazy when spooked and she maybe got stuck. I'm sorry sounds like a freak thing [​IMG]

Trish

3. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I am sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

4. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    Have you thought about putting an apron around your fencing? A wire apron with small holes should deter a hawk getting their heads inside the run.

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    The hawk was likely scoping them out and they went into a panic, and she ended up stuck when trying to hide. The hawk got lucky and went around to where he could get to her. Definitely a freak thing. But just in case, wrapping 1/2 inch hardware cloth around the bottom at chicken height would prevent something like that. The thing about chicken wire is stuff can still reach through it.

The hawk had to have been harassing them to start though. I've seen hawks sitting on top of my run before, checking it out. Once one crashed into the top, which is 2x4 welded wire fencing. Crazy. Hawks aren't stupid but the young ones can have a learning curve.

Another time at my old house, I was standing guard over the birds while they were out and I saw a shadow through the 6 ft wooden privacy fence. About 3 seconds later a hawk swooped up and over the fence, 15 ft from us. I jumped at the chickens to scatter them and he missed. But he knew that coming from above would make them hide, so he used the fence to hide himself from sight. Clearly they have some intelligence!

6. KaraG

KaraG Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2011
    Thanks for all of the condolences and insight! I will definitely take the advice of adding more fencing so it makes it harder for a hawk to peck through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by