What happened??!! **Graphic Pics**

Update:

It was a hawk. We had two more attacks but luckily they were caught right away and both hens suffered no injuries and recovered from the shock by the next morning. I have given up free ranging for now.

We reconfigured their outdoor daytime run, which is not predator proofed, to be under trees (bare now but too many branches for a hawk to land) and an evergreen for cover. The one open area has poles with cord and fishing line covering the top and down the sides so a hawk cannot enter without extreme difficulty. All of it is backed up to the privacy fence. Once spring comes they will be mostly hidden by the trees and bushes all along the front of the run. We included the compost pile so they spend a lot of time there. Also a huge dust bathing area they all can fit in. They seem quite happy! Until they see me and want out🥺 but I trimmed everything perfectly for us to go in and walk all around with no issues so we spend a lot of time inside it with them. And they do free range when we are outside with them.

Glad to know u identified the culprit and all chickens are safe. I am well south of you, but in addition to my resident redtail, it is currently both mating and migration season here. During month of March i always notice more hawks than normal. Yes once u get tree cover, that will help. Especially since by then your hawk culprit will have hopefully moved on, after learning the buffet is closed!

So glad to hear your two hens didn't get physically injured at those two following attacks!
I fully understand you have given up free ranging under the current circumstances :hugs I know it is difficult because one can't explain it to the hens, can't tell them it is just for their safety and well-being. But to me your reconfigurations sound awesome, and hopefully the hawk will lern fast and move on :fl

I had a procedure today so I've been sleeping this afternoon. I woke up to the girls huddled in the coop and 1 pullet and Oscar(rooster) in my front yard in the bushes. I have a 6' privacy fence which Eggers can fly decently so if she was in fear I could see her making it over the fence. But Oscar is so big!

Anyways, I found Buffy, my BO, in the back of the yard dead. Does anyone have any ideas on what did this? I have hawks in the area. Our net does not span the entire yard and it looks like the struggle started in the one open area. I can see 3 specific struggles and the final site.

I'm so pissed at myself! I am always home and check on the girls multiple times a day. I can hear and see them with all the windows. The one day I am sleeping very heavy due to the procedure and this happens.
Our 10 year old Barred Plymouth Rock had similar, fatal injuries from a raccoon attack. She was still alive when we interrupted the attack, but succumbed within 1 minute afterwards.

Our 10 year old Barred Plymouth Rock had similar, fatal injuries from a raccoon attack. She was still alive when we interrupted the attack, but succumbed within 1 minute afterwards.
I'm so sorry for your loss of your dear Barred Plymouth Rock :hugs
What a great age she reached ❤️😞

Back
Top Bottom