What happened to bath towels?

There used to be three sizes of drinks and pop corn at the theater. Small disappeared. It is now called medium, and large is what medium used to be. Pork chops used to be pretty husky, now if they got any thinner, they would have to print them on paper.

Used to be extra large pizza would feed the family and the neighbors. Now, it just feeds me. This is hidden inflation. You can't blame manufacturers; they are just trying to stay in business. But eventually people are going to realize that it is just not worth the money to buy their products.

I can tell you what has happened to bath towels, they have become bath sheets. bath towels are now the size of ordinary towels and hand towels/guest towels are now the size of face flannels/wash cloths. Flippin' iritating isn't it?
exactly - that's what it is.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. I miss the days of stepping out of the shower and being able to wrap a nice warm...fuzzy...soft towel around me. I did check out bath sheets but "sheet" is about the right description. They are thin and there's hardly anything to them...certainly not a fluffy towel. =/

I'm wondering if I should give up the idea and maybe head to the fabric store and make my own towels. =]

Making towels would be a good idea if you can find towelling by the metre. Have you thought of trying to buy online? This is my first port of call these days as you have the whole world's shops at your fingertips.

This is just another form of hidden inflation. The towels are smaller, the cord on electrical appliances are shorter, the bars of soap are half the size they were a couple of years ago. The box is the same size though. I complained to my wife and she said "but it is so cute." Whenever a woman says that, there is no reasoning with her. I will continue to bathe with those darn soap chips.

What aggravates me most is opening a can of tuna and finding it is almost filled with water. Where is the tuna?

Have you noticed that the standard 5 lb bag of sugar is now 4 lbs? This happened a few years ago, and the sneaky sugar companies didn't change the price (probably figuring no one would notice and they were almost right, until I pointed it out to some friends who initially disagreed with me). The end result was a 20% increase in cost. Cute.

Almost forgot toilet paper. It used to fit (width-wise) on the dispenser spool, but now there's lots of room at both ends. They made them shorter! Check it out.

Last edited:
If you don't much care about what your towels look like as to color or pattern, I have had good luck at TJ Maxx finding department-store bath towels at big-box-store prices. Beige, purple and mint green do just as good a job of drying me off as towels that match the bathroom decor, ha ha.

What frosts me is what used to be a 3 lb can of coffee is now something like a hair over 2 lb. Used to be the coffee was smooshed in there so tight you had to be careful opening the can or it would poof out all over the place. Opened a can the other day and I kid you not there was a half inch of dead air space at the top.

And I totally agree with the statement that if pork chops were any thinner they would have to be printed on paper. Hubs and I are discussing raising a hog just to have decent pork chops again.....the last ones I paid way too much for at the store, and they were better suited to be the bottom of shoes.

Now that you all mentioned other things, I took a look around varying containers of items (both grocery items and toiletry items and over all "items" in general). You're right. O_O They look the same but in all actuality, most things are several ounces less than what I seem to remember them being before. Sigh. I don't mind that as much as the towels though.
rant.gif

We do have a TJ Maxx in a city close to us, so I'll definitely check there next time we're that direction; thanks for the tip!
thumbsup.gif

I am so old that I remember when a box of cereal was filled to the top. Bags of chips are now blown up with some sort of gas to make them look full.

I am so cheap that I save the soap chips and wrap them in a wet paper towel. Then I give them a minute or two in the micro wave and then use a fork to press them into a useable chunk of soap.

The one that fries me the most (no pun intended) is bacon. These days a "pound" of bacon is 12 ounces, and you really can't tell by looking at the package.

With the towels, I remember back when IKEA first opened over here, I bought towels from them and when I got them home, I was disappointed because they were so much smaller than my other towels. But the last time I bought towels I noticed that they were about the same size as my old IKEA towels (which I still have). About the only things that haven't gotten smaller over the years are the prices.

I tell my wife to buy the cheap bacon from the open case. She doesn't like to because she has to take a number and wait. But when she buys a pound that way, we actually get a pound. And the bacon seems to be better that way. There is a real art to rolling the bacon and packing it so that all of the fat doesn't show.

Have you noticed that in packed meat that they always include a paper pad soaked in water. That is some pretty expensive water. Again, the way to avoid that is to buy from the open case and deal with the clerk yourself.

We have a fav meat shop here in town and they are good for most part. The last few times I bought bacon, it tasted funky, more "boarish" and strong flavored. It was bleck! I didn't buy anymore since then. It just frosts me that the price of bacon is more but less weight..12 oz. I sure have my favorites but until I find a good bacon supplier, it would be bye bye to store bought bacon. If I want A POUND of bacon, I expect the same, not a few oz off!

And keep an eye out on the weights of produce, some are wrapped and sometimes the syrofoam would weigh a bit more. More padding!

And check the weight scales, some have been tampered.

Back
Top Bottom