What happened to Greenfire farms Lamonas?

I have recently been on the Greenfire farms website, and noticed that the Lamonas are not on their list of breeds. I have noticed this before with the Frisian gulls and the Queen silvia, and after they were removed they didn't appear again.
I did get an order of the Lamona a few years back.. as a substitute for another breed that didn't "meet hatch expectation". I ended up selling them to someone who was interested in showing.

My guess.. is that they weren't popular enough to sale at $100/chick regularly and turn a profit.. That coupled with limited genetic diversity making them much harder to work with.. or otherwise making more room for more popular and/or newer varieties instead of going on an ever increasing "growth" journey as many business oriented entities do..

That's too bad though.. I was possibly looking forward to trying them again.. for the cool red lobes and white eggs. :confused:

I did get an order of the Lamona a few years back.. as a substitute for another breed that didn't "meet hatch expectation". I ended up selling them to someone who was interested in showing.

My guess.. is that they weren't popular enough to sale at $100/chick regularly and turn a profit.. That coupled with limited genetic diversity making them much harder to work with.. or otherwise making more room for more popular and/or newer varieties instead of going on an ever increasing "growth" journey as many business oriented entities do..

That's too bad though.. I was possibly looking forward to trying them again.. for the cool red lobes and white eggs. :confused:
Do you have contact with this person? Maybe you could get some chicks or eggs from them? Do you know of any other sources of Lamonas?

I have found another breeder of Lamona. They are called Colonial Wattlesburg. They also have Ayma cemani, Quail brabanconne, and Red mottled Pita Pinta Asturiana.

I have found another breeder of Lamona. They are called Colonial Wattlesburg. They also have Ayma cemani, Quail brabanconne, and Red mottled Pita Pinta Asturiana.
Just a warning: Colonial Wattlesburg is selling mixed Lamonas. She admitted as much when I pressed her about it, looking for pure Lamonas to add to my breeding program. I’m sure they’re similar if you just want a good meat bird, but a big no-no for mixing with my purebreds, and I was NOT impressed that she wasn’t disclosing up front.

It’s my understanding that Greenfire quit selling them because word got out that they were hatchery quality and were presenting some genetic defects as a result. Their remaining stock was dispersed to other breeding programs, and from my experience, the breeding of their birds into other breeding programs has yielded a much more genetically viable bird.

Back
Top Bottom