What happened to my chickens?

CBirdie

In the Brooder
May 13, 2021
Until today, we had one rooster and 6 hens in one coop. The coop is inside a chain link kennel and the kennel has blocks around the base and chicken wire around the chain link about three feet up. The top of the kennel has rows of chicken wire across it to protect the chickens from hawks. In addition, to protect the birds from the neighbors, we have a padlock on the door to the kennel. It is virtually predator and escape proof...so we thought. I went out to feed them today and they are all gone except the rooster. His feathers are everywhere (there are a few hen feathers but they are mostly his) and he is lying dead with his body hollowed out. The lock is still locked, the chicken wire is in place and although it looks like something tried to dig around the kennel close to where the carcass is, nothing dug under and the chain link and the chicken wire are untouched. What happened? Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Until today, we had one rooster and 6 hens in one coop. The coop is inside a chain link kennel and the kennel has blocks around the base and chicken wire around the chain link about three feet up. The top of the kennel has rows of chicken wire across it to protect the chickens from hawks. In addition, to protect the birds from the neighbors, we have a padlock on the door to the kennel. It is virtually predator and escape proof...so we thought. I went out to feed them today and they are all gone except the rooster. His feathers are everywhere (there are a few hen feathers but they are mostly his) and he is lying dead with his body hollowed out. The lock is still locked, the chicken wire is in place and although it looks like something tried to dig around the kennel close to where the carcass is, nothing dug under and the chain link and the chicken wire are untouched. What happened? Has anyone else ever experienced this?
Chicken wire is not predator proof, I am sorry for your loss, in the future use hardware clothe. Does the kennel have a roof?

Im sorry you had to experience your loss. Although your description is good, PICTURES are worth a thousand words. Pictures of your entire set up, feathers, carrcus if you still have it.
Where are you located in this world would also help.

Im sorry you had to experience your loss. Although your description is good, PICTURES are worth a thousand words. Pictures of your entire set up, feathers, carrcus if you still hav
Im sorry you had to experience your loss. Although your description is good, PICTURES are worth a thousand words. Pictures of your entire set up, feathers, carrcus if you still have it.

We are in West TN. We did not take pictures because our kids were devastated. We just cleaned it all up as soon as we could.

It does not have a roof. Good to know about the chicken wire. Thanks!
Birds of prey and other land predators can easily get in there, especially if there's no roof. I'm not very familiar with predators in different places, but I know that having no roof gives premium access to chicken nuggets.

It does not have a roof. Good to know about the chicken wire. Thanks!
Then, I am certain either a hawk or vulture ate it. We had a hawk attack once where one of our chickens was like you described. We still do not have a roof, but we stay home all day and my window faces their pen area. Just try to get a roofed in area just to be safe.

I'm sorry your kids had to experience that loss. But, you can turn your loss into a learning experience for them. A lot of us are on this forum to learn and many chicken keepers like myself begin the same way and come looking for answers. This is THE number 1 place to get them. We have A lot of "Expert Ch8cken Keepers" on here from around the world.
You kept your girls and one boy the safest way you knew at the time so, don't beat yourself up. Start over while teaching your kids to persevere.
Unfortunately, chicken wire is Not preditors proof. Regular chain link fencing is not preditor proof. What you will need is a heavy gauge Hardware cloth. (little squares) and a roof. You can ask specific questions, you can go to the top right search area or go to the coop area to find answers.
Starting over gives a chance to pick specific chickens that you might like better. If your going to keep a Roo, you will need appox 9 Pullets per 1 Cockerel. Or you can be like me and not have any Cockerels/Roos.
You may decide to try Bantams to allow more sq ft per bird. General rule for a normal size girl ( RIR) is 4-5 sq ft Inside the coop and double that in the outside run space per chicken. The More the better to keep your girls Happy and less pecking on eachother.
I HOPE you take your tearful experience and turn it around for a good learning experience for you and your children.
This teaches them to learn from mistakes and ask for help along the way.
Please keep us posted and Good Luck.

:welcome :frowSo sorry for your loss. Most everyone who owns chickens has had a loss over time. I know I have had my share over the years. Do you have any idea how the predator got to your birds? One thing I would consider is to put up a game camera or some type of camera. The predator will be back and then you will know what you're dealing with. I have good strong heavy duty netting covering my pens, electric wires around my coops and pens and concrete under the gates all due to losses from predators in the passed. Lessons learned the hard way. I see predators quite regularly on my cameras. Often times they will lurk looking for an opportunity. Nothing has gotten past the electric wires and I do use chicken wire but also have some welded wire with chicken wire too. I also have a quite powerful fence charger so anything that touches the hot wires will know it. I did have a timer on my hot wires to turn them off during the day but on at night when most of the predators roam here. It died so now I have to remember to turn them off when I'm out around the coops. It may not be pretty but works. Good luck...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/tips-for-protecting-poultry-from-predators
20210115_095548.jpg
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg
IMG_20200428_102816.jpg

Back
Top Bottom