What happened to my Dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MeatKing, Oct 20, 2011.

1. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

So I will start form the start... Not too sure if it is connected or not... I"m thinking not, but maybe you will see more then me

Took our GS to the forest for a nice long off leash run, he was fine, got kids form daycare ate supper etc... Everything was fine

Took him out for last pee of the night, and I called him to come in, he did the, stick my butt in the air, and want to play routine..
    So I went to grab his coller and he spun and twisted his leg pretty bad... Yelped and was limping, next am still limping.. took him out on leash as he's the type of dog hurt or not must chase a stray cat or whatever he see's... Get home from work, he's still limping a bit, but a lot better.. Still take him out on leash for rest of day..

Next am comes, he's good, he never pooped day before, probley cause he was on leash and likes his privacy.. Let him outside 5am, pitch dark except for our outdoor lights.. I always go out with him, cause he will chase something and be gone..
    He goes pee, goes poop, does a great big runnig circle, Man I feel like a million bucks run.. I smile to myself "good he's feeling better"

Call him to come in, he's right behind me, get to patio turn around to wait for him, and I can't see him anywhere.. I go down to this one tree, that he loves to tree the stray cats on he's not there.. The whole time calling him, go back towards house there he is on patio waiting for me... This took a whole 60 seconds..

Let him in, shower, feed kids.. you know whole routine, I'm upstairs and he's lieing in my bed, kids are downstairs.. This is normal, I lie next to him for a kiss and a snuggle (love this part of the day) Petting him, he's got blood on his neck? Werid, closer look a whole "hole" in his skin? Not bleeding much, kind've like when you you get road rash, only seeps?

Anyways not bleeding much so off to work I go. knowing hubby will be home really soon.. Hubby gets home ,and says it's nothing like he's ever seen before expect when hunting and putting a dear out've thier misery... How did I not hear anything?
    When did it happen.. You know all the questions you'd be asking
    I called Vet asap.. They were getting ready to close for night.. Said if he's gone all day, he will be fine for night.. Bring him in first thing in am..

That's no problem we will be there.. But What Happened?

Did this happen in the forest and we never saw it? I dought it, he sleeps in out bed and gets lots of love and pets... But it was under his coller area.. So maybe I missed it till it got irrated?

Hubby thinks it looks like a coon grabbed him? But I didn't hear a yelp or bark or nothing? Keep in mind it was raining and 70 km/hr winds.. So I had my hoodie up, but I still would've heard it right.. I was calling for him, so yelp may have happened at same time I was calling for him, and never heard it?
    I guess Vet will tell me tomorow what it looks like... [​IMG]

I hope it's nothing [​IMG]

2. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    Good luck with him. Please keep us informed. [​IMG]

3. MeatKing

Thank-You bgelber, I will let you know

He seems to be acting like nothing is wrong... Can't wait to see what vet says , anybody... Ideas?

Tough guy, brings me his toy, lets go play please!!! No your not healthy lets not play, Brk, Bark, Bark come on, throw the ball mom... OMG really, no, lie down, take it easy please.. Going to bed early, to make him go to bed,,,,

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Do you guys have bot flys in your area??

5. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    It sounds like he is a lucky dog to have you as his owner. Please let us know what the vet has to say.
    I wonder if he ran into a sharp or broken branch getting it caught under his collar.

6. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Wow - strange. If a coon had grabbed him, you would have heard for sure and it would have been a fight with a lot more than what you see, I think. I vote for Skyesrocket's idea about a branch getting caught under his collar... but we don't know. I hope he's all good and the vet gives him what he needs...

7. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    could he have just stabbed himself with a stck running around? mine did that only on his inner thigh. No yelping just caught him licking it aafter the walk

8. MeatKing

Quote:I have never heard of "bot flys' So I'm guessing no?

9. MeatKing

Quote:We did a walk of our property last night, couldn't find any branches, or sticks that looked like they could do this... He 100 pound, hubby thinks if there was one caught he would've pushed it out've the way?

But maybe it happened day before in forest? And we just never noticed?

10. MeatKing

Quote:Thank-you this makes me feel much better.. Was really hoping I wasn't stunned enough to miss the "attack of the coon"
    And I think he would've fought back.. He's pretty aggresive when it come to protecting his property..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by