what happened to my eggs?

I have 19 layers under the age of 3 and I only got 2 eggs yesterday. Most are molting but extreme heat and cold will throw them off laying also..as well as the lighting..winter can be rough because of the shorter days.

I say let them have their time off...making an egg is not as easy as it appears their bodie can use the break.

can you hear me now? :

Sounds like they are melting. I use a light and mine probably would have waited till spring if I hadn't used it. Some like to give.them a rest I get what I can but I like my customers to.get.their eggs.

Melting?
lau.gif
gig.gif
GOD I love typos sometimes!​

Could they be hiding eggs? If they get free range time sometimes they get a wild hare about those things.

Or you might have an egg eater?? Mine weren't laying well, I thought, till I figured out one of the older ladies was playing football with the eggs so they would crack for her to eat
rant.gif

Also they didn't lay well for a good two weeks after a dog attack (on the free range roosters OUTSIDE the layers' pen) so any kind of stress could make them quit for a while.

Quote:
Melting?
lau.gif
gig.gif
GOD I love typos sometimes!

Lol now I am wondering if they are related to the wicked witches of Oz. Got wet maybe? Wow sometimes I love em too. Doesn't help that this is a cell phone and that it doesn't seem to like the word molting. Just had to fix it or it would have said melting again.

Quote:
Where I live, we do not experience the change in seasons, so my girls continually to lay all year round without any artificial light. I notice that the numbers do go down a bit when it is cloudy and rainy all day, no sunshine, so they get a little confused, but as soon as the sun comes up, the numbers go right back up. You say that your EE's usually go on strike for 6 months out of the year............... ? Try looking for a nest of eggs somewhere other than where they usually lay. I thought my EE's were also going on strike once a year, but I discovered that they were laying their eggs in the duck nests under the house! So yah, I get to crawl under the house and get all dirty and slap the bugs off me just to get my blue and green eggs this time of year.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom