What happened to my hen? Heat stroke?

ashtx

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2020
One of my 10 month old brown leghorn hens just literally dropped dead. She walked over to me, opening and closing her mouth repeatedly. I noticed her comb was flopped over, though still very red. She seemed out of sorts and allowed me to pick her up (which my hens never allow; they are usually impossible to catch). I live in the Houston, TX area and it has been very hot the past few days (in the 90s, heat index 110). I assumed she was dehydrated, so I carried her over to the waterer, then suddenly she couldn’t stand, flopped around a couple times, then died. It was traumatizing. I examined her body, but didn’t find any signs of trauma or other issues.

I’m assuming she died of heat stroke/dehydration, but anyone think it was something else?

Our flock spent most of the day in the shady area under the coop. Their run is shaded by trees in the afternoon. They have constant access to water, though I’m sure the water was warm this weekend from the heat. What else can I do to prevent this from happening again? I feel like a terrible chicken mom! 😣

It does sound like possible heat exhaustion. Summer heat can be hard to manage, but it is necessary to have plenty of shade or make some with shade cloth, tables to get under, and plant some bushes. Put out cold water at least twice daily in multiple shaded locations. I put out flat pans of water and keep them in the shade so they can step into them and cool their feet and legs. I fill them up around 4-5 in the afternoon, to make sure everyone has access before roost time. Overweight hens do poorly in the heat, so limit any treats, and make sure they are on a balanced chicken feed. If you find a chicken that seems to be having heat stroke, it helps to set them in cool but not cold water to gradually cool them off. Sorry for your loss.

That does sound like heat stress. I live in Arizona so I have had lots of problems with this! As for the water, having an open dish will keep the water cool from evaporation off the surface. It is also a good idea to have a mister running constantly. They may not like it at first, but if it gets hot enough, a mister works wonders keeping chickens cooled off. If another chicken shows signs of heat stress, I would bring them inside and give them water. If they won't drink on their own, then get a dropper full of water and tilt their beak so water runs down their mouth and it usually gets them to drink. Sometimes I use garlic water to fight off parasites, because parasites are also a major cause of heat stress. I hope this helps!

How do you manage the misters in humid heat? E.g. don’t want to get their enclosure wet with the mister in the shade unless its Ok? I always think about moisture and parasites....

One of my 10 month old brown leghorn hens just literally dropped dead. She walked over to me, opening and closing her mouth repeatedly. I noticed her comb was flopped over, though still very red. She seemed out of sorts and allowed me to pick her up (which my hens never allow; they are usually impossible to catch). I live in the Houston, TX area and it has been very hot the past few days (in the 90s, heat index 110). I assumed she was dehydrated, so I carried her over to the waterer, then suddenly she couldn’t stand, flopped around a couple times, then died. It was traumatizing. I examined her body, but didn’t find any signs of trauma or other issues.

I’m assuming she died of heat stroke/dehydration, but anyone think it was something else?

Our flock spent most of the day in the shady area under the coop. Their run is shaded by trees in the afternoon. They have constant access to water, though I’m sure the water was warm this weekend from the heat. What else can I do to prevent this from happening again? I feel like a terrible chicken mom! 😣
Yes, I've had this happen too. I live in florida half the year until june it can be 90 for days on end. the chickens free range by day over several sunny acres. One day I noticed a girl panting, the next morning she was dead in the coop. Since then I am more vigilant on hot days. I'll keep them locked in run with a sprinker going ( run is under a live oak so shady) also if I see a chicken in heat distress I'll dunk them in a bucket of water. They sit there and seem to enjoy it. I also freeze bottles of water and stick them in their water in their favorite spots around the yard. I've noticed that sick chickens will try to keep up with the flock even when under duress, sometimes I'll take the oldest girl and stick her in the AC. Def keep an eye on them on hot days. You live and learn with chickens. She might have had some underlying issue too.

How do you manage the misters in humid heat? E.g. don’t want to get their enclosure wet with the mister in the shade unless its Ok? I always think about moisture and parasites....
I just use a sprinker, honestly it's so muggy in Fl there is no helping it. It's definitely cooler in their run . It doesn't cover their whole run, because they don't like the rain, but it cools it by 10 degrees at least. I'm not sure if Houston is dry or muggy.

I'm so sorry for your loss. This just happened to me today. My brown leghorn was face down in her dirt bath area. I placed her in cool water for about 30 mins but she still wouldn't drink. She seemed a little more aware after I did this but then she passed away during the night. I feel like a horrible person because this happened. I live in south MS but the pen is completely shaded by oak trees and they always have water. I started putting electrolytes in their main waterer and picking up a water mister today. I've read that some people use Nutri Drench to help put extra vitamins in the water.

That's horrible! I'm very sorry for your loss, and I'm sure it was traumatizing!

Fans help, even a box fan or two set up in the run temporarily during the day can help them beat the heat. We add ice cubes to our waterers a couple times per day on really hot days, and we even have a mister if things get "out of control" hot! It's essential that chickens have cover from the sun somewhere in the run at all times during the day so they can get out of the direct heat.
We even bring birds that look like they might be in distress into the A/C for an hour or so if necessary. They clearly appreciate the break in the heat from what we can see.

Back
Top Bottom