What happened to the blood veins in the eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cajuntc74, Oct 21, 2015.

1. cajuntc74

cajuntc74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2015
    I think it was the umbilical where the blood was coming from. I put him on a clean paper towel. There is no additional blood on the towel, just what was on him originally. He/she is still in the incubator. It is starting to move all around in there. It keeps curling up like it was inside the egg. Then he stretches out and peeps and then tucks himself up into a ball again. His breathing looks pretty steady too. There is also a small amount of the yolk sac still tucked between it's legs. And I am not sure now if that is where the bleeding was coming from. The next time I change the towel I will take a picture. I am terrified to touch him.

2. cajuntc74

Oct 12, 2015
    I think the little one is going to be ok. He is trying to walk around inside the incubator....Here is a picture of him/her. You can see how I have it set up in there. There are other eggs in there so I had to make him a space where he can be safe without tripping on the other eggs. There is one egg in there that is supposed to hatch tomorrow so I don't want them to get damaged either. One of my new incubators quit working...so now I am back down to one. I am going to let these hatch out and then in the Spring I will do it again.. the right way .. by putting them all in on the same day...Serious learning needs to happen before then too... anyway.. here is the little one... I can't get a picture of his belly.. since he is laying on it.. but I changed out the towel he was on and [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. cajuntc74

Oct 12, 2015
    Baby survived the night and he is as strong and active as he can be today! It is running all over the brooder and peeping and just wanting to be held....I did introduce him to Paris and Paris did like you said. She was trying to be very rough so the intro didn't last but a few seconds. It is amazing how BIG Paris is compared to this little guy. I checked this afternoon and this one is a male. My hubby named him Rocky since he was a fighter and survived! We are relieved. I have another one that is due to hatch today and I am almost 100% certain that this one is backwards in the egg. There is no part of the darkness in the egg anywhere near the air sac. All of the duckling is crammed into the small end of the egg. I am going to keep an eye out for the dark spot to appear...any chance that I could turn the egg upside down to get it to flip around? I put that egg in the incubator 28 days ago today...I am not sure that it is even close to being ready...I just wonder if there is something I can do to help it flip right side up in the egg before it starts pipping...

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Lets see if @Lacrystol is on today .

Congrats on your lil one. so precious.

1 person likes this.
  5. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Glad Rocky is doing well and getting stronger! Sad that Paris was mean, but that is the way of ducklings unfortunately. That's why they all need to be incubated and hatch at the same time, as they do in nature. But I know you are aware of this now, we just live and learn! Hopefully if your next one does hatch very soon and can be together with Rocky.

As far as I know, there is no way to help them turn back around once they are upside down, at least not this late in incubation. I'm not sure you can fix it even earlier in incubation. They just seem to develop either in the right orientation, or in the wrong sometimes. So, just keep an eye out for any tell-tale dark spots on the wrong end of the egg and go from there. Hopefully it is somehow in the right position in there anyway and you won't have any problems. Only time will tell! If the dark duckling mass looks too small for this late in incubation, there is likely a problem with the duckling and it may have stopped developing at some point. Those ones don't make it, so just be prepared. It could also just be a bit late! I don't want to make any assumptions as I'm not there to see it myself (any way to get a good candling pic of this next one?) and sometimes it can be hard to tell exactly what's going on in there.

1 person likes this.
  6. cajuntc74

Oct 12, 2015
    Thank you Orca! I just candled it and you can see the beak pecking at the wrong end. There are NO blood veins in that area at all. All the blood veins are down by the air sac. There is lots of movement in there IF you look at the pointed end of the egg. I put a pencil mark on the egg where I can see it pecking so I can see if that dark spot appears. I will just keep an eye on it for now. And with little Rocky.. I did some research. I read some articles and looked at some pictures and what happened with him is that his foot ended up falling across his beak and his wing and that is why it was unable to do the zipping thing. They called it Mal-positioning. He couldn't turn himself in the egg so I am guessing that he was not able to twist those veins to stop the circulation. I am thrilled at how well they are both doing. I introduced them again and they are actually following each other around in the brooder. They are resting together now. I guess Paris has decided she likes the company.

1 person likes this.
  7. Miss Lydia

@Orca5094 Question when a duckling begins to hatch wrong end is there any way to make a safe hole so it can have air?

8. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Absolutely! But really only if they either start a little pip themselves, or a dark spot appears under the shell to show you where it is trying to pip. Then you know where the bill is and can make a small safety hole there. Then you'll want to prop up that end of the egg so it is higher than the rest of the egg so that the duckling does not drown in the remaining fluid inside the egg. These are the dangers of hatching from the wrong end and not having an air cell to safely hatch into, but they can be saved if we intervene in time and know exactly where their bill is.

Ok, if they have alot of empty space at the small end of the egg (with no blood vessels) that usually means it's going to be a "sticky chick", meaning there is too much fluid left inside the egg and the humidity was probably too high during incubation. It might mean he'll need some help hatching to keep him from drowning in the extra fluid, but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

So glad Paris is doing better with Rocky now! You just never know how they'll be with smaller ducklings, but it's usually mean. So great that Paris figured out that she's better off making friends with the new guy. :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Since I just came upon this thread and really don't know all that has been going on but how old is Paris and is she from this same hatch?
    Thanks for the info about the safe hole I haven't ever tried using a bator when we have ducklings I let my ducks hatch. I have only had to assist once and thankfully that duckling hatched fine, Nerve wracking to say the least.

10. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I believe Paris is about 4 days older than Rocky? Is that right cajuntc74? This was a staggered hatch, so a bit more complicated than usual.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by