What happened to the blood veins in the eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cajuntc74, Oct 21, 2015.

1. cajuntc74

cajuntc74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2015
    I will have to adjust that brooder then ...it is only around 82 degrees in there now. I will just cover the top to keep some heat in there. The next one is due to hatch Tuesday...it is looking nice and strong in there. This little baby is sitting just under the light. I wasn't sure if he was doing that because he can't walk yet....he has tried to stand up a few times but it isn't going so well for him just yet. He is only about 4 hours old. How long does it take them to learn to stand up and walk?

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Oh, they should really stay inside the incubator until they are fully dry (at least 12 hours) to keep warm, rest, and get stronger. I didn't realize how new he was and maybe should have said that earlier. They will take about a day to really get up and be more steady on their feet. Hatching is an extremely tiring process and they mostly just sleep their first day of life.

I would maybe pop him back into the incubator real quick so he is kept warmer and out of any drafts, unless you can get that brooder up much warmer (same temp as incubator) until he's all dry and fluffed up.

1 person likes this.
  3. cajuntc74

Oct 12, 2015
    I was able to get the temp up in the tote! I put a heating pad in there and set it on low and also lowered the light down closer to the bottom. It is nearly perfect. The little one is all fluffy and yellow and trying to walk around in there. He has been sleeping most of the day though. He is the most precious thing I have ever seen aside from my own babies...thank you so much for all of your advice and help! I am so glad you have been here to help answer all my questions Orca!

4. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Ok, that's great you got it warmer in there! Just make sure it doesn't get TOO warm of course. ;)

Thanks for the update, and glad I could help! ^-^ Can't wait to see your other little ones!

5. cajuntc74

Oct 12, 2015
    Second egg is about to hatch. We have a hole and can hear it peeping..By this time tomorrow maybe Paris will have a playmate! YAY.. and hopefully we can get some sleep around here! Paris is pretty lonely when the light go out at night!

6. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    That's great! Paris really does need a buddy, less stress for you and for him/her. Love the name, btw. :)

When this one does come out, make sure you leave it in the incubator until fully dry (at least 12 hours), then keep it separated from Paris for a day or so until it gets stronger and more active. Otherwise, Paris will for sure pick on it. Ducklings can be pretty brutal sometimes. Then again, some others get along just fine right away with size/age differences, so you just have to keep an eye on them to see how they do.

7. cajuntc74

Oct 12, 2015
    Thanks for the tips Orca.. the little one hasn't hatched yet.. it is still pretty active but not seeming to be interested in joining us just yet. He doesn't appear to be in any kind of danger... so we wait...

8. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Ducklings do like to rest alot between the stages of hatching. :) Has it started to "unzip" around the top of the egg yet?

9. cajuntc74

Oct 12, 2015
    OK so he came out of the egg about 15 minutes ago...blood was coming out pretty bad from between his legs. I grabbed him up quickly with a clean paper towel and put Vaseline on the area where the blood was coming out. There doesn't seem to be any more bleeding and he is just resting there.. still breathing. Praying he makes it. What else should I do, if anything?

10. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I think you've done all you can. Was his umbilical area still open? Was that where the blood was coming from maybe? Sometimes their umbilicus will still be a little open when they first hatch, but it should close up on it's own within 24 hours. Just try to keep him on a soft, clean surface (old towels work great) so it doesn't get ripped open or infected. I'm assuming he's still in the incubator to dry off? Some of them have wire bottoms, he should not be on wire so you can just put a little washcloth or something under him for now.

You can put a little dab of betadyne or antibiotic gel (the kind without pain reliever, very important) on the area as well a couple times a day if you think it needs it. Can you post a pic of the area when you get the chance?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by