What happened to the price of feed?????

Quote:
Persimmon trees are clonal groves, there should be more sprouts elsewhere and it will probably regrow. You also require a male persimmon tree within a half mile or so to get your female persimmons to bear fruit. I got my persimmons originally by transplanting a female sprout from a clonal grove bearing fruit. I lucked out and had a male persimmon tree in my woods. You can tell the male from the female trees year round if you look at the flower spurs, females have one; males have a cluster of three.
There is another tale of fruit trees and chickens. There was this farm which planted a few plum trees that never bore fruit to ripening due to attacks from the plum curculio beetle. They gave up and allow calves into the area and chickens----that year the fruit trees bore baskets of ripe plums. It seems that the calves would rub up against the trees to scratch themselves and the beetles would drop to the ground as a defense mechanism---which didn't work in this case because the chickens ate them.

That tree had been there for at least 29 years bearing fruit, so evidently there must be more around. I'll keep an eye out when I am trimming the fence line and let a pair grow, or move them somewhere else where I would like some shade. I think maybe it was an ornamental persimmon? or just past it's prime because no matter how ripe the fruit got it was still
sickbyc.gif
As long as it's been there though I am sure there are bound to be some seedlings around.

Quote:
X-2

I wished i could i go threw 150 pounds of flock raiser a day.
The only feed mill around me is 35 miles away and only mix cattle feed
th.gif

I got out of rasing horses because the price of feed was getting to high ,now i am getting out of chickens for the most part and will no longer be selling eggs as it is not worth it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom