What happened with this duck egg? UPDATED with pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mamaginabean, Sep 18, 2009.

1. mamaginabean

mamaginabean Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    MI
    I put 4 muscovy duck eggs and 2 cuckoo maran eggs in the incubator on 9/11. As of a few days ago there were 3 duck eggs and 1 chicken egg with veining. Yesterday when I candled, I noticed a very dense and largish looking mass inside the one duck egg that didn't have veining. It looked like what a candled egg would look like much further on, when an embryo stops developing....but obviously they aren't far enough along to have much development at this point. I left it in overnight because I'm a wimp and I'm scared of accidentally killing a live embryo.

Today I got rid of the clear chicken egg and cracked open the weird duck egg. The whites are liquid to the point of being like water. The yolk looked like it was half hardboiled and half raw. What would cause this? I haven't had any temperature spikes or anything, and even if I did- why would only one egg be like this and not the rest? And why only half of the yolk cooked? It smelled bad too, though I'm guessing that's probably normal after being in the incubator for a week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. Dandy Acres

Dandy Acres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    I have no idea, but I am real curious to see the pictures.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    me too considering it may help another person down the road?? please?

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Sounds like the egg was bad to begin with.

5. mamaginabean

mamaginabean Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    MI
    bump for added pics in first post [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I agree with Becky, it was probably not fertile and just starting to dry up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by