What happened?

momofchicks

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Kentucky
My Dominique has laid an egg every day since she started (except her 2nd day) and today no egg. There was a lot of ruccus in the coop today. Another layer was screaming at a 1st time layer for 40 minutes to get out of one of the nesting boxes. Finally the 1st time layer got out of the box and ended up laying her 1st egg in the middle of the run right before my eyes. Anyway, the Dom. ended up not laying today. Could the commotion upset her so much to not lay? Could she just not want to lay in that box because another egg was in it? Usually the Dom. lays her egg first for the day. I have 4 boxes, the 2 layers I have lay in one box and the new one tried to but got hollered at. What's with the magic box? Also, will the new layer think she has to lay in the coop now because of fear of being hollered at again? Mean old hen!!

Maybe she is getting ready to molt(?) It is that "time of year" and they usually stop laying before they molt. Try putting a plastic egg or a golf ball in the nest box for your new layer and she will get the idea quickly on where to go.

Back
Top Bottom