1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happens if the temp is too low?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greening, Jun 23, 2011.

1. greening

greening Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    while waiting for my incubator to show up, i whipped together a hommade icubator. it is at about 95.5. i know it needs to be 99.5, but what happens if its not? im just afraid that if i lower the heat lamp any it will spike the temp way to high (while i was regulating it it was over 120! should i try to warm it up a wee bit or just leave it?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The 1st 3 days and the last 3 days of incubation tend to be the most critical for proper development. I probably would've waited for the incubator, but sincce you've begun, all you can do is wait and see. Candling around day 7 or 10 should tell you if they are growing. Depending on how long until you have the right temp though, they won't likely hatch at 95F.

3. greening

Apr 17, 2011
    the eggs are 8 days old and i got it up to 97, so i hope that is better

4. Rbl4life

Rbl4life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    the lower temp will just make for late hatching.. they start developing at around 86 degrees

5. greening

Apr 17, 2011
    so will they develop incorrectly if its at like 95?

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

They actually start developing at 80*F but odds of deformity go way up if you are below 97*F for long times.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If the temperature is low the hatch may be a day or 2 late. If the temp is high the hatch will probably be a day or 2 early. 99 to 100 degrees is good. a couple of degrees off either way usually just either result in delays or early hatches.

8. Reghan1977

Reghan1977 New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    How did you increase your temp? We can't seem to get the incubator past 94! We have a 60 watt bulb in there and the room itself is 82....I'm so frustrated!

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Use a higher watt bulb. Try 100 W. Do you have a thermostat?

10. Foreverlovnlife

Foreverlovnlife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2012
    I am in a panic and any information would help. So I started out with 20 eggs at 94 degress because that is as high as I THOUGHT the bator would go. When I put them in lock down 2 days ago there were 10 alive and moving. Now on day 27 I find out that I was just being dumb and the bator can go higher so now the ducks are at 98 degrees. I wish I could open it up and look at them to see if their moving but I cant. Please someone tell me something!!! DID I JUST KILL MY DUCKS!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by