1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happens if you open during lockdown? Like how bad am I? Pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lswatson111304, Nov 20, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Its day 21, and I know my temps were low for a while so I expect a late hatch, but I still wanted to peek and see if I could tell if they were even still alive because I'm scared of the exploding eggs. Anyway, so I looked in, and here is what I see. Whats going on here? Is this a good thing or bad thing? Can I hopefully expect some babies to try to hatch?

here is my pic from 4 or 5 days ago when I was told they weren't developed enough for 18 days along.
    [​IMG]

Here are todays pics day 21. All you can see is aircell and the chick pressing into it I guess??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    I would give it to at least day 25.

3. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    It does look like an internal pip, but really early. I don't see the beak yet.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Those look normal for lockdown eggs. Now, let me suggest you put those eggs back on "lockdown" and don't even crack the lid again until after hatching. Keep in mind that you can risk shrink-wrapping every chick, every time you choose to open the bator during lockdown. If you need too, place a piece of tape on each side of your bator to remind you not to open it. Good luck for your hatch!

5. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by