What happens in a flock when there's a new rooster?

are you going to quarantine the new roo's first?
then,, grab all 3 roo's,, throw them in the pen,, and within 15 minutes you should be able to tell which roo will be dominant, and protect ya girls,,,, that is, if they all arent wimps hahahha
wink.png

I didn't have a mature Roo when I brought Algernon home, barred rock about 2 months older than my oldest pullets. Those two pullets were BA's who beat up on every other chicken in the flock.

After quarantine I just put him out there with them. Nothing bad happened, he's protective, they've calmed down, he does rough up the younger roos and takes on Jake my Bourbon Red now and then but they are all settling in.

And the BA's have calmed down a TON. So it can work.

He's quite assertive with the flock without being a real bully, I think quarantine helped him with his confidence with me, he's quite gentle and somewhat spoiled now.

I wouldn't keep a nasty roo, every time a contentious bully crops up I get rid of them.

Good luck finding the right Barred boy. They can be terrific.

I made a mistake getting my first rooster.The person I got him from said he was a rhode island red.I was very inexperienced with chickens at the time.Turns out he was a phoenix/game cross.At first he avoided me and people,then he seen me feeding the hens some treats.He didn't like that and he attacked every time I went around the hens.I wanted to choke him(I never did though),and he wouldn't let me hold him(or catch him).He was gone in 3 months.Couldn't handle his behavior any longer.I kept one if his sons who always respects me and never makes a move to attack me...so far,so good.First time he attacks me will be his last(rehoming him,not me eating him,can't kill my chickens).

I would get rid of the agressive rooster and get me a new one.Even if he fought off predators,its not worth getting ripped up over.Chances are a new rooster will be just as good a flock protector and less aggresive towards humans.

all roo's are aggressive,,, may not be all the time,, but they are by instinct,,,, and all roo's will 1 day try to be your alpha,,,,so before i re-homed,, i would at least try to teach it how to act,,, its like teaching a puppy to poo outside,,,,, you dont get rid of the puppy the first time he cant "hold it" do ya... and when re-homing,,, be SURE to tell the people that he's aggressive towards humans..

Back
Top Bottom