What happens? Just curious.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chick1043, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Just curious but what happens when a chick has curled toes? I've been wondering this for a while. Thought I'd ask. :)

2. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Either they grow out of it as the bones get stronger, or they stay gimpy. Lots of times, the other birds will pick on, hurt, kill a bird that is "not normal".... survival of thhe fittest kind of thing. You can attempt to fix it if you are so inclined, with a brace and bandaid.

I had a chuker chick with a clubbed foot and broken toes. It was walking on its "ankle". We straightened the foot and wrapped it with vet wrap for 3 days and the foot then fixed itself. Their bones are so tiny and malleable when they are young, that they break eaasily, but mend just as easily.

Here is a pic of the brace-job on the little 2 day old chuker. It is NOT easy to do properly, as the little legs are SOOO tiny, but my DH and I worked together and I can't even tell now (the bird is about a month old) which one had the bum foot. You can look up braces and what to use/ how to do it. I know there are posts about it, as someone on here showed me a link....but I don't hhhave it offhand. You need to make sure not to wrap too tightly. You could use a small piece of cardbboard/ cardstock, cut in teeny foot pattern to tape on.....but it will be difficult.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Oh! I see! Thanks for sharing! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by