what happens to an egg after death?

TheLukeMeister

Songster
May 18, 2015
Last night my incubator went crazy and and baked my 9, 3 day old silkie eggs at 105.6 degrees! I think there all dead but I'm not giving up on them! Does anyone know what happens to eggs after they die? Cause I candled them about 2 hours later and and saw nothing maybe a little bit of a black spot in one but other then that nothing but yolk! I looked up pics of 3 day old eggs and in those you could see the veins! Do the veins dissolve after they die and if so, how long does it take?

I've never incubated eggs but I think candling at 3 days is too early to see anything. Maybe someone with hatching experience will chime in soon.
fl.gif

Last night my incubator went crazy and and baked my 9, 3 day old silkie eggs at 105.6 degrees! I think there all dead but I'm not giving up on them! Does anyone know what happens to eggs after they die? Cause I candled them about 2 hours later and and saw nothing maybe a little bit of a black spot in one but other then that nothing but yolk! I looked up pics of 3 day old eggs and in those you could see the veins! Do the veins dissolve after they die and if so, how long does it take?

How long were the temps that high? 105 isn't really terrible unless it's that way for an extended period of time. In the past, I have had spikes past 110 and the chicks still survived. I wouldn't give up on them yet, and honestly I would be surprised if they are all dead. A hen's baseline body temp is about 105 degrees.

I've never incubated eggs but I think candling at 3 days is too early to see anything. Maybe someone with hatching experience will chime in soon.
fl.gif

You might see something, you might not. It depends on the egg, your candling apparatus, and your eyes. lol I usually wait until days 4-5 to really start candling.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying!
I think they were at that temperature for about six hours. Do you think that would hurt them?

Thanks for replying!
I think they were at that temperature for about six hours. Do you think that would hurt them?

It might, but I'd bet that most of the eggs are alright. Candle again in 2 days and let us know what you have.

Last edited:
To answer your question, the veins do sort of dissolve after death...but not in a couple of hours.

Back
Top Bottom