What happens to male-sexed chicks from commercial hatcheries?

I'm not crying...yet. Continue if you want but I am going to another, happier thread. This one is making me feel guilty for not buying every cockerel-chick I find!

Sob, sniff

Quote:
i believe when they "dispose" of laying hens from egg factories, that they send those hens to made into dog/cat food...

They also go to be the chicken in chicken noodle soup.

Up here where I live in Northeast PA there are a bunch of abandoned chicken houses. I learned recently that years ago, most of the these were folks raising chickens specifically for Campbell's ~~! Guess it all went west to wider, bigger production farms.

The problem with many of breeds of the roo chicks is that it just isn't cost effective to raise them up for food. They eat more than they are going to be worth. We bought a straight run of standard cochins last year. Ended up with 10 roos. Made a deal with a friend to process them for half at about 5 months. One made great soup, but would never purposely raise up that many again ... I know they ate more than $4.00 worth of feed each in 5 months.

Last edited:
Here is a link to Part 1 of Jamie Oliver's Fowl Dinners which is graphically clear about what happens to the male chicks. It's a great series of shows (if you have the stomach for it) that just re-inforces why we all raise our own eggs (and some of us meat).

Interesting that I stumbled across this thread. My coworker sent me the article below this morning and it broke my heart
sad.png

Previously removed thread removed again...please do not post that link again. We have removed numerous threads and links on this subject today along.​

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read that link too this morning and I came here to post it in this thread. So sad. And it makes me so angry.

That said though - we don't really know how much of this story is just a typical peta overhype. If you know what I mean. Maybe they're euthanised before ground up. Ughhh... it's still so yukky.

I posted a link to a news article the other week about scientists who have figured out how to turn rooster embryos into hens. This is such a perfect example of a need for that!!

Here's the news story
http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,28348,25988164-5014239,00.html

Culling is just a part of chicken raising..... I think the male chicks are most likely given a pretty quick death....my only problem with culling all the males is if they are wasted in any way....They can still be used for dog food.

Back
Top Bottom